Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Collision

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:53 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Collision

Bigger issue is you missed a "soft object" and hit a "hard object". Definetly take it to a body shop for an estimate (freebie). They will also tell you if there are safety concerns. Trust me. When you've seen a wheel come off with the control arms still attached it aint pretty.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:59 PM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

Bigger issue is you missed a "soft object" and hit a "hard object". Definetly take it to a body shop for an estimate (freebie). They will also tell you if there are safety concerns. Trust me. When you've seen a wheel come off with the control arms still attached it aint pretty.

That has been one of my concerns, even though I don't see it likely happening. I'm going to take it in a few days... Atleast if the wheel fly's off I can hope that it erases all traces that this could have been my fault .
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: localgod11

Can someone please explain to me what is the attraction with dog and these cars?? this is the second time I have read of this happening. Do a search I cant remeber the guys name right now but he had the some problem you did, with the dog and the wheel.

I do remember seeing that thread a couple weeks back, but the accident was much worse and it rendered his car undrivable.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:05 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ST4NG

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

That has been one of my concerns, even though I don't see it likely happening. I'm going to take it in a few days... Atleast if the wheel fly's off I can hope that it erases all traces that this could have been my fault .

If (God forbid) your control arms are damaged and fail, at speed it will rip through your break lines like a knife through hot butter, then you are only left with an e-brake and no steering.

Granted I wasn't there and have not seen the damage first hand. I always operate off the worst case scenario.

Hope it's a cheap fix. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

if indeed it is the control arms I had mine replaced yesterday for mine being bad....I only have had this mustang for 2 months ...... I had not hit anything my control arm was grinding and popping so I got a whole new suspension and control arms...and struts for free....so you might see if yours were apart of the ones that came out bad...my dealership said there are quite a few coming in and getting fixed ....my car is 1000000000 times better ( as far as noises and the ride) it would be worth asking ....if they ask what dealership has been having problems tell them Joe Cooper Ford in Midwest City has had problems with the control arms
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

Well I took my car down to a local auto collision center today.

I was told that the best case would be an alignment. The guy also informed me that with an alignment they could tell me exactly what has been damaged. With the alignment he said it is possible that they can correct it. The worst case he was talking about a nice $2000.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:13 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

my bet is the lower control arm! here is a pdf of the suspention

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ded%20view.pdf
Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Thats what I had replaced yesterday. plus some other stuff
Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

If a deer is a small animal I wouldn't want to see what they consider a bit animal! I has a 'small deer' with my Mustang about two months ago and it did just over $3000 of damage. I think deer are like dogs, they are both suicidal. The deer was hiding in a small thicket of trees and jumped out right in front of me. The stupid thing couldn't wait just two more seconds to just, I would have missed it then. Now I drive a truck to work and only venture out in my Mustang on weekends. Personally I think there are better ways to control the deer population than using cars. I hardly go more than a week or so without either seeing a flattened deer on the road or hear about someone I know that's flattened one. Deer are a real problem here in Northern Virginia. Me, I would rather run down a dog than a deer any day. Even big dogs are smaller than the 'small deer'.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Wow, This dog thing is getting out of hand! LOL!

Quick Reply: Collision