Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my Hurst shifter in

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:22 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default Got my Hurst shifter in

Went to Afixers today and we installed the Hurst short throw shifter and Gt front anti-sway bar. It was a smooth installation (thanks to Tom), the only problem was a cheap stock sleeve that has to be reused from the stock shifter. The part is the sleeve that goes through the bushing on the shifter rod; it was made of pot-metal and the sholder broke removing it from the stock shifter. It was an easy fix to grind off the rest of the sholder and use two fender washers. I like the Hurst, it is definatly a much shorter throw and feels a lot tighter, not as sloppy. We went to the track right after the install to run some 1/8 mile races, this was my first time ever on a track and it showed. My reaction times sucked and I was having trouble with the 2nd to 3rd shift not being used to the new shifter. My first run was against a Dodge SRT4, I got him off the line and at the 60 and 330' marks but after that his Turbo kicked in, I was struggling with the 2-3 shift and he passed me. I was at 10.58@66mph he was about a 10th faster but about 70mph. Not too bad for my first drag race but I need practice! I was also having a lot of trouble getting traction at the start; a lot of wheel spin. (stupid Pirellis!)
Afixer was his consistant self in the 9.0 to 9.15 range, I'm sure he'll be posting soon.

And thanks once again to Tom for all the help!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:27 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Got my Hurst shifter in

that's cool Beau, so it really does make a noticable difference in the shifting? I here people all the time complain about the shifting stock and how they are always missing gears and what not. Personally though I've not had any problems with shifting I never miss a gear and the travel is fine to me. I'm interested in the hurst, but I keep flip floping since I don't actually have problems with mine. Just curious?

So did you love the track?? I've been wanting to try it out myself but not had the chance yey. Gonna go again??
Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

First, the shifter really does feel better, much shorter throw and a lot more solid. I think it will make a difference when I get used to it and trust that I'm really getting into gear. The problem is that I had gotten so used to how far I'd have to move it to go from 2 to 3 that now it doesn't feel like I've moved it far enough to get it gear. I will probably give it about a month to get used to the new shifter and then go out and try it again. I don't think I'll make a habit of racing, it's hard on the car and it's really not that fast and I don't want to go crazy on the go-fast upgrades.
ORIGINAL: blazen351

that's cool Beau, so it really does make a noticable difference in the shifting? I here people all the time complain about the shifting stock and how they are always missing gears and what not. Personally though I've not had any problems with shifting I never miss a gear and the travel is fine to me. I'm interested in the hurst, but I keep flip floping since I don't actually have problems with mine. Just curious?

So did you love the track?? I've been wanting to try it out myself but not had the chance yey. Gonna go again??
Old 06-02-2006, 03:45 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

well cool, I wish I knew somebody around here that has one with the hurst so I could try it for myself before ordering. Oh well. I'll make up my mind one of these days.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

It's actually a pretty cheap mod, I only paid just under $200.00 I think it was well worth it. By the way, the front GT sway bar makes a big difference too, it's like it's on rails! Got it from Saleen for $30.00; no-brainer!
ORIGINAL: blazen351

well cool, I wish I knew somebody around here that has one with the hurst so I could try it for myself before ordering. Oh well. I'll make up my mind one of these days.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:57 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

that true, Compared to all the rest of the money I have/will spend on her that's hardly a drop in the bucket. I'll probably end up switching it out. I think I'm gonna do my gears and tlock first though.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Congrats!!!!

My hurst just arrived!!!!

Can you offer more detail on how not to break "The part is the sleeve that goes through the bushing on the shifter rod" I would like not to breakit if I can....

Thanks!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i did it it was stupid . usually you can take a large socket and put the arm over it and tap out the sleeve. but it het the end of the socket and jus popped of. i was WTF then i took a small pair of pliars and pulled it out and was able to snap the rest of the flange right off. so i groound it smooth and used two fender washers. justtake your time and use steady pressur. dont smack it. it like pot metal.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

So I have to presume the 05's had the pot metal bushing. On my 06 it is a two peice nylon type bushing. Very easy to deal with.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

no two bushings one in the shifter (2) nylon and one in the brace bushing that mounts to the tranny(potmetal)

Quick Reply: Got my Hurst shifter in