Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune on a manual Stang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:27 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune on a manual Stang?

I believe a manual has been dynoed using the C&L w/xcal 2. I want to say Bamachips did it. Trust me though, you will notice the difference with a tune and good CAI.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

On diesels they can tell if the truck has run at a higher RPM than the stock computer will alow.... but MOST ford engineers have no idea about performance chips, and even if they do its not their "dealership" so they dont realy make a big deal, they repair and and give it back... UNLESS the service manager is also the tech.. they can sumtimes course you problems as i think they get a pat on the back for avoiding having to do warrently work!!! after i blew a turbo and tranny while running a x cal 2 tune in my diesel... they replaced it all WHILE the chip was in, the service manager drove it and was like "thats one hell of a fast truck man!"

Paul
Old 06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Beaustang -- Thanks for posting this...you've probably seen me mention my curiosity about this too.

If I do decide on this soon, I'll fill you in. This really is at the top of my short list right now.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:11 PM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Well I wish I knew the real answer. If you look around this forum and others you will see both "yes" and "no" given quite often as to whether or not they can tell if you made changes to the factory settings. I tend to think they would be able to tell and that it wouldn't be that easy to "fool" the computer... unless they really don't care if we mess with things and blow the engine, which I doubt, but that's just me. Either way I'm not taking a chance with a tuner unless I know for sure I'm not going to screw myself out of the warranty if a legitimate issue comes up.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-06-2006, 07:21 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ford scan tools, can tell everything that has been done to the computer, even before its re-flashed, essentially our computers are like blackboxes even if you reflash it back to stock, it still holds all records for driving habits and tunes... did you know a code is thrown everytime you hit wide open throtle so if youve been dring the car hard, the computer will hold htat information.. its impossible to hide it.. i know i work for ford :P (if those of you didnt already know that) the stuff i learn at the source is endless
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

The dealer will tell you a tune will void warranty period. My question was if you can reset the computer and fool them; the answer seems to be NO!
ORIGINAL: ssoss

ORIGINAL: cmallett1
Well I wish I knew the real answer.
Your wish is my command....

Just call the dealer and ask them, and get it in writing. A simple fax or email should suffice.

Drew

Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

depends on the dealer... some dealers are full of ********.. my dealership i work at for example wouldnt care too much unless the extent of the warrenty damage was severly caused by the tune... most of the time they would prentend to not notice the tune
Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

ford scan tools, can tell everything that has been done to the computer, even before its re-flashed, essentially our computers are like blackboxes even if you reflash it back to stock, it still holds all records for driving habits and tunes... did you know a code is thrown everytime you hit wide open throtle so if youve been dring the car hard, the computer will hold htat information.. its impossible to hide it.. i know i work for ford :P (if those of you didnt already know that) the stuff i learn at the source is endless
Call me paranoid, but I pretty much figured this with the "black boxes" and all the other computer-controlled stuff in cars, now-a-days. That said, is this something that is pulled up during a general inspection, or would you need to check this for yourself, like if you thought someone may have been modifying the car or driving it hard?

I picked up the magazine suggested by people here, (I think it was MM/FF, June '06, but I'm not sure) regarding warranties and modifications. Basically, the article was informative, but did not give any more concrete of an answer than I've seen on the board. There was no definite "yes" or "no" answer. The "best answer" I derived from the article was, have a good relationship with your service department where you go, be friendly, try to resolve things as painlessly and easily as possible and only employ any laws when absolutely necessary. I think honestly, being people too (some of whom are probably auto enthusaists as well), that common courtesy can go a long way here. Not to be cliche or anything...
Old 06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

the codes would only be pulled up if they had to be pulled up, to DIAG the problem

what youve said int eh second paragraph is your best solution

Quick Reply: Tune on a manual Stang?