Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune on a manual Stang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:50 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default Tune on a manual Stang?

I'm wondering what effect a tune would have on a manual trans car, most of the feedback I hear is on improved shift points and less throttle lag. With a manny I obviously don't have to worry about shift points and I don't experience any throttle lag either. Would it be pointless to get a tune for my car?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tune on a manual Stang?

I still noticed increased performance from the tune with my manual. Now I don't have any numbers to back that up, but it FEELS better. More power lower in each gear. Did that make since?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

no dyno numbers to back mine up but i ran a 15.26 100% stock, and a 14.91 with just a canned 91 octane tune from brenspeed.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:17 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Well, thats a pretty good indication, what has happened to your gas mileage? I'm still on the fence on this; voiding my warranty is a BIG consideration.
ORIGINAL: fazm

no dyno numbers to back mine up but i ran a 15.26 100% stock, and a 14.91 with just a canned 91 octane tune from brenspeed.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:31 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: beaustang

Well, thats a pretty good indication, what has happened to your gas mileage? I'm still on the fence on this; voiding my warranty is a BIG consideration.
It's really pretty darn easy to flash back to stock if you ever need warranty work.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

well after the tuner and k&N intake install, i acheived 31.8mpg on a road trip (not instananeous, the whole tank).
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Beaustang,

I used the AFE like you have for about 10K miles till I got pretty close to 30K miles on the car...recently switched it out for a C&L w/ Brenspeed tune, and I have a stick. With just the 89 tune there is a completely noticeable change in throttle response and performance. You may have a bit of throttle lag that you have just kind of gotten used too. I had my wife (I know, I know) drive it and even she came back saying it was like night & day. I do a lot of highway miles and so far no change in gas mileage, but I had already gotten a nice little bump from the AFE and dual exhaust.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Can't the dealer's computer tell that the car has been reflashed? I am told there are codes the dealer can read and nail you no this.
ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

ORIGINAL: beaustang

It's really pretty darn easy to flash back to stock if you ever need warranty work.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:59 PM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Can't the dealer's computer tell that the car has been reflashed? I am told there are codes the dealer can read and nail you no this.
Yes. That seems to be the general consensus anyway.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

NOPE!!! the dealer can only tell the last time the computer has been reset. Easy enough to explain because any time your computer stops getting power IE the battery dies the computer performs a reset.

FLASH AWAY!!

Quick Reply: Tune on a manual Stang?