Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

finding the right cai is making me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:42 AM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

Default finding the right cai is making me crazy

i dont want a cai that requires a tune. i dont have the money. but i do want a cai cause i have such a bad itch to add more to my car. so far ive been looking at k&n, afe, airraid, and mmr, along with some others. i just dont know what to go with. it seems to me that they are all gonna do about the same thing. i wish someone would just say "get this one cause its gonna do its job".
Old 06-09-2006, 02:44 AM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: finding the right cai is making me crazy

get the mmr its gonna do its job. lol just do it its good bang for the buck compared to the K&N
Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Resist the itch. Save your money, get a C&L with a tune. This is what will REALLY make a difference to your car, and it will be worth the wait. Blow the money now on a non-tune CAI, and you'll be disappointed.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:56 AM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

yes i agree but i figure when he gets enough money he can get a tuner and tune it for the mmr. but we know the C&L makes a few horespower (like two) more than the mmr.
i actually think youde be better off getting an x-cal 2 first. and then when you save up for the C&L you will be able to tune for it. that setup=lot more horespower
Old 06-09-2006, 03:01 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I would agree... a tuner first, for higher octane gas, then later get the CAI. Good idea.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help... ya i honestly didnt even think of getting a tuner first. but if i got a cai that didnt require a flash and then bought a tuner somewhere down the line, how much improvement would i see. i mean, compared to having a cai that did require a flash? just curious
Old 06-09-2006, 01:10 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: msulifter37

thanks for the help... ya i honestly didnt even think of getting a tuner first. but if i got a cai that didnt require a flash and then bought a tuner somewhere down the line, how much improvement would i see. i mean, compared to having a cai that did require a flash? just curious
The best intake option without a tune is the AFE... 12 hp gains.

However, if you plan on getting a tuner down the line, get the tuner first and the intake later. Just make sure you get the tuner from a dealer that has tunes for the intake you'd like to get later on. The tuner, like the SCT X-cal 2, is the best bang for your buck out there and will truly wake up your ride... make it drive like it should have from the factory.

That being said... the best combos out there are the C&L intake or the Demolet Tunable Induction intake and the SCT X-cal 2.

a note about the MMR... it was the first intake for our 4.0L's out on the market. Scrming used to have one, but replaced it with the C&L. If memory serves, he got a 3 rwhp gain, but also said it felt much more than that on the street. There's more to performance gains than what's shown in a dyno sheet.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

I agree with hamidlmt, I am ordering the Demolet CAI and the XCAL2 from bama chips, and an MRT Aeroturbine from MRT Direct.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: toosober

I agree with hamidlmt, I am ordering the Demolet CAI and the XCAL2 from bama chips, and an MRT Aeroturbine from MRT Direct.
Nice! Your ride is going to feel (and sound!) like a whole new car!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LX200

Resist the itch. Save your money, get a C&L with a tune. This is what will REALLY make a difference to your car, and it will be worth the wait. Blow the money now on a non-tune CAI, and you'll be disappointed.
This is the best answer IMO.

Quick Reply: finding the right cai is making me crazy