Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gt Takeoffs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gt Takeoffs?

ORIGINAL: djl0657

I got a single right side GT muffler for the cost of shipping. I had a shop do the work and they actually cut off the third hanger from the V-6 muffler, reinstalled it to the GT muffler, and did a very professional installation for about $80. I love the sound, not too noisy for the convertible with the top down and my wife doesn't fuss about the excess noise. Not a rattle or a problem with the different muffler.
Okay, this is where I want to go with my car. I'm not really into whoring up my car that much. I'd like it to sound meaner, but not too loud. I'm also thinking of window louvers (louvres?) to give it a more retro look. Also, this sounds like a fairly straightforward solution to my modest sound needs. No bumper replacement, just a simple muffler swap, which I could get a local shop to do.

Please, your thoughts here.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Do the muffler swap yourself and save some cash. You don't even need to jack the car up. Reuse two of the hangers and besides the aforementioned 13mm combination wrench, a 13mm socket with a couple of extensions are helpful plus a larger (possibly 17mm or more?) socket for the large nut holding the muffler clamp at the muffler /over axle pipe connection. A rubber mallet in case it needs coaxing , a favorite beverage, and maybe an hour at the most are all you need.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Ken Rogers Date 6/11/2006 1:50:50 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: djl0657

I got a single right side GT muffler for the cost of shipping. I had a shop do the work and they actually cut off the third hanger from the V-6 muffler, reinstalled it to the GT muffler, and did a very professional installation for about $80. I love the sound, not too noisy for the convertible with the top down and my wife doesn't fuss about the excess noise. Not a rattle or a problem with the different muffler.
Okay, this is where I want to go with my car. I'm not really into whoring up my car that much. I'd like it to sound meaner, but not too loud. I'm also thinking of window louvers (louvres?) to give it a more retro look. Also, this sounds like a fairly straightforward solution to my modest sound needs. No bumper replacement, just a simple muffler swap, which I could get a local shop to do.

Please, your thoughts here.
As said here by others, the install is easy. I didn't even use a jack. I just hung the rear over the curb by the driveway and worked in the street (legal disclaimer - proceedeth at thou own risketh). I parked a car in the street to give me a safe area to work. Took <1 hour, and the beverage of choice is a good idea. I LOVE the new sound with the GT take-off. Sounds great with the top up or down (and not too loud).
Old 06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

YES, it is the proper compromise for those of us that don't want a really loud sound. I was concerned about the noise level with the top down and had to consider my wife in this one. She drives the car most of the time. She is not into the performance stuff and for me the GT TAKE-OFF was the perfect solution. I like it that is doesn't sound like a four cylinder on steroids and has a nice GURGLE at idle.

I put a notice on the GT board on this forum and two guys offered me their muffler(s) for the price of shipping. One guy offered BOTH for shipping costs only.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Okay, here's the dumb question of the day: When you say "GT Takeoff", are you simply talking about a stock Ford GT muffler, or is this something else?

Ken
Old 06-11-2006, 01:41 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it is the stock GT muffler.
ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

Okay, here's the dumb question of the day: When you say "GT Takeoff", are you simply talking about a stock Ford GT muffler, or is this something else?

Ken
Old 06-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, thought I'd better ask than assume.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

thanks for the info guys got my takeoffs for 49 bucks today just waiting to get ustom pipes bult as i have decided to go dual
Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Yeah, we're talking about stock GT mufflers. The reason people call them "take-offs" is because usually the parts that are bought have been removed from a GT that was undergoing a transformation into a Saleen or Roush. When the GTs are converted by Saleen or Roush, Ford sends a stock GT to the shop and the stock parts are removed and the conversion parts installed. The cars usually have less than 20 miles on them when the parts are pulled. Certain places sell these "take-off" parts (mufflers, stock bumper fascias, etc.) on eBay. They are basically brand new parts at bargain basement prices.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

wow you got dual gt takeoffs for 49 bucks? where did you get that at? i got mine today for 55 i got luck cuz of ebay. But i am taking them into JBA when i get them for them to put it on professionally. Might cost me a bit but its worth it i think.

Quick Reply: Gt Takeoffs?