Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gt Takeoffs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:05 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default Gt Takeoffs?

I have been listening to the GT Takeoff sound clips and was listening to Hambones single GT Takeoff ith stock pipes and was wondering why is it so much louder than the v6 stock single exhaust What are the specs of gt mufflers and is there and hp gain if you just put one on and also are there any required parts to put just one on the stock set up thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gt Takeoffs?

dunno specs but if u look at ur v6 muffler its got alot inside, look into the gt muffler and u can see right to the back of the box...

Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

for installation is simple, you just need a 13 mm wrench and your hands

unbolt hangars, pull pipe down, put hangars on the new exhaust, and boltit back up

stock has 3 hangars, teh GT has 2, you only need the 2, the left over hangar you can use if you want to run duals you can use it on the second pipe
Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I got a single right side GT muffler for the cost of shipping. I had a shop do the work and they actually cut off the third hanger from the V-6 muffler, reinstalled it to the GT muffler, and did a very professional installation for about $80. I love the sound, not too noisy for the convertible with the top down and my wife doesn't fuss about the excess noise. Not a rattle or a problem with the different muffler.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

cutting off and putting it on the new muffler is just a waste of time and money, honestly it shouldnt have costed you more than 20$ to install
Old 06-10-2006, 09:54 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

BLACKFOOT,

You may be right and I respect your opinion. BUT, after reading some of the stories about rattles and melted valances, etc. It is worth the money for the lack of problems that I've encountered. Combine that with the generosity of a forum member that let me have a virtually new muffler for about $22 in shipping fees and NO additional money. I'm happy !!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:11 PM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

I'm starting to love my GT takeoff...

I was dissapointed at first, after getting used to driving my car with no muffler.

However now that it has been broken is its got a nice deep growl to it. Its not really something other people can hear unless your driving next to them, but if your racing, its a different story. It sounds mean, and the car feels like it has more power.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i know what your saying, i didnt mean to come off as an ***, but for rattles lock tight is hte fix, and about melting valance, the reason that happens, is because people sometimes dont realze that their muffler isnt pushed as far passible onto the over axle pipe where to notch meets the stud, via design, it bolted properly you have no issues, because if a person witha GT were to take off his muffler to be cool and put it back on, and he didnt make sure everything was tight and snug, he would have the same issue.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:25 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

This was my first experience with this shop (an automotive business, NOT a muffler specific shop). I was impressed with the time and the workmanship that was put into this job and will use them again for other repairs to my 05 and also my 01 ESCAPE. For about $100, I have a PROPERLY installed muffler for less then what some are paying to purchase TWO GT take-offs with shipping.

NO offense taken, this is a FORUM and I respect a properly stated opinion.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I did a single GT before going duals, it was about a 10 minute job in the drive, very easy swap. It does sound a lot better than the stock muffler. It's not loud, just has more of a growl to it.

ORIGINAL: djl0657

I got a single right side GT muffler for the cost of shipping. I had a shop do the work and they actually cut off the third hanger from the V-6 muffler, reinstalled it to the GT muffler, and did a very professional installation for about $80. I love the sound, not too noisy for the convertible with the top down and my wife doesn't fuss about the excess noise. Not a rattle or a problem with the different muffler.
I'm guessing you mean the counter-balancer rather than 3rd hangar? There are only two hangars on the stock and GT mufflers. The stock muffler has a counter-balancer that is not on the GT muffler though. I didn't bother with it and I don't notice any additional vibration, but it doesn't hurt anything to put it on there.

Quick Reply: Gt Takeoffs?