Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What the hell is this woman talking about!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 AM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What the hell is this woman talking about!

Give yourself some time in your new car. Cornering with a RWD is much different than a front wheel drive car...acceleration pushes in a much different way. When you get comfortable with the weight transfer of your new, heavier car....add gas in mid corner to help actually turn the car tighter...much different philosophy than FWD...

Pony Package is a big help on the sixers...I have no complaints on ride and handling for my daily driver. Its a much different car than you are used to but will eventually feel comfortable with the new size and weight.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Greyshade

I have to agree with the pony package making all the difference. Those Pirelli tires and a sway bar make it feel like a whole new car. My baby grips the road like she has claws.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

+1
i agree, i really think its good on corners for having a stock suspension but like jlcljayne said, its cuz ur coming from that eclipse. all ive driven are hp and torque driven cars and so its easier to grasp the concept of throttling through the mid turn but u'll learn. my car kicks ***! oh, and its my first mustang too

ORIGINAL: jlcljayne

Give yourself some time in your new car. Cornering with a RWD is much different than a front wheel drive car...acceleration pushes in a much different way. When you get comfortable with the weight transfer of your new, heavier car....add gas in mid corner to help actually turn the car tighter...much different philosophy than FWD...

Pony Package is a big help on the sixers...I have no complaints on ride and handling for my daily driver. Its a much different car than you are used to but will eventually feel comfortable with the new size and weight.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Yea Front wheel drive pulls you through the turns, rear wheel pushes you. I've drove Rearwheel all my life so I have no Idea when your talking about you can't corner as good. I'll stay on any eclipses,honda's,acura's,nissans butt around a corner just as good as them off the lot ( I make sure I can just so I know what I bought) and I don't have no pony package LOL. Ya just need to adapt to a real car man lol. You'll get it, it just a matter of time and driving. Welcome to the forums and enjoy your domestic.

oh swaybars and I think a panhard bar will help too on cornering but not 100% sure.

the Lower control arms and upper control are more for 1/4 mile ish but at fast/high speeds I like these mods. More stability one of the best mods you can have done.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:52 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

invest in new tires (that size should be fine) just get better ones for grip, then get some lowering springs, hellwig sway bars and a strut tower brace. It'll feel like a go-cart
Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

YOu might also have problems cornering because the mustang gets up to speed faster than an eclipse GS because of this magical thing called 'torque'. Intentionally ride the clutch, preventing power from making it to the ground but lots of drama coming from the engine compartment then try to take these turns and I think you'll be happier with the cornering and it will be more like an eclipse. LOL I'm just teasing, welcome to the board, new tires/wheels is a great starting point, hellwing makes a great rear sway bar you might check out, getting a GT take off front sway bar is always an option as well. I think you'll be much happier with your mustang than you ever were with your eclipse.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
msoar00

holy moly thats a lot of good info! Thanks for your help. alrighty so here is what I'm getting so far:

get a Panhard bar/limited slip differential/sway bar

So what is the difference between those 3 things? If I only had the $$ to put in one of those things, which one should it be? What would help at cornering the most?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

I don't have any problem with the ride or handling of my '06 whatsoever.........
Old 06-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

Sorry my pic is still not working.....
Old 06-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

The wheels/tires will make the biggest difference. After that, probably a rear sway bar or panhard bar.

Quick Reply: What the hell is this woman talking about!