Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New question about lowering (last post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering springs Help please

As a tech, if youve NEVER done springs before DONT DO IT YOURSELF. One reason mainly, the spring compressor you can rent from autozone, I wouldnt consider safe. If the spring compressor slips off of the spring and it goes flying theres a VERY good chance that it'll take your head (whatever) with it. Saving yourself the 2-300 bux isnt worth your life. They have the PROPER tools to do the job, not some rinky dink compressor that should be outlawed, in my opinion.
As for whihch springs to go with, thats just personal preferance. Go with either steeda, eibach or Saleen (which I think are eibachs anyway). Get the prokit, the sport kit (whatever), is way too firm for the street, itll rattle your teeth loose. And as for the alignment, when you lower a car the camber makes the top of the wheels tilt IN not out. Caster/ camber plates are the IDEAL way to go, as you will add adjustability to caster as well as have more available camber.
just my .02
-P.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

What kind of discount do we get if we buy springs from our vendors?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:16 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

thanx alot, but to me it IS worth the extra 2-300 bucks LOL, im going to attemp my self as im in construction and know all abou tools and safetly, i just dont know how to do CORRECT car modifications. The trouble with camber plates is the money, seems AWFULL expensive compared to these bolts.

Paul
ORIGINAL: P Zero

As a tech, if youve NEVER done springs before DONT DO IT YOURSELF. One reason mainly, the spring compressor you can rent from autozone, I wouldnt consider safe. If the spring compressor slips off of the spring and it goes flying theres a VERY good chance that it'll take your head (whatever) with it. Saving yourself the 2-300 bux isnt worth your life. They have the PROPER tools to do the job, not some rinky dink compressor that should be outlawed, in my opinion.
As for whihch springs to go with, thats just personal preferance. Go with either steeda, eibach or Saleen (which I think are eibachs anyway). Get the prokit, the sport kit (whatever), is way too firm for the street, itll rattle your teeth loose. And as for the alignment, when you lower a car the camber makes the top of the wheels tilt IN not out. Caster/ camber plates are the IDEAL way to go, as you will add adjustability to caster as well as have more available camber.
just my .02
-P.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:59 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

paul ok you dont need camber plates just camber bolts like i have they are 30 bucks and are easy to install. they are bolts with a cam in them that alows you to adjust the camber 3 degrees if i remember. anyway i got my steeda springs for 245 and the bolts for 30. i was un of the lucky ones we did it at my buds shop while also getting the front end clunk TSB done. any way look at black post it is very good all you need is a good floor jack , spring commpressor and some jack stands would be good. the rear is real easy unhook the shocks and then just jack up the car they fall right out. the fronts will take the tim you eill have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the strut to the spindle note that the upper bolt will be replaced with one of the cam bolts. then you will have to remove the nuts under the hood that holds the stut to the tower. then the fun part compress the spring and replace it. you wont need the compressor to replace the new spring depending on the drop you get. so her is a tip carpenter. befor you start take som 1x3 and make a triangle to set up to your front tires left side and right side mark them and set them aside. when your done set the car down and drive it in and out of the driveway then check with your triangles adjust the upper bolts as needed. that will get you close. i myself would just pay the 75 bucks and get it aligned. take your time and be safe its actually real easy just time consuming.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Afixer thats a great write up, i think u should make a simaler post and have the admin sticky it.. Thanx soo much! Black foot and toltek are telling me simaler things so ill be able to do it im sure ... if u could JUSt explain the triangle thing again i got lost a tad bit.. thanx matey!

Oh and by the way... ENGLAND WON!!!! wooo (soccer) they played trinadad and i had both my Trinadadian neighbours over to watch the game lol.

Paul
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol hes talking about adjusting the camber yourself after your car is on the ground and your rolled it up and down your drive way in awe :P you can use a level hold it up and down against your tire to see how much you have to fix it to get it straight also i recomend
as much as my other work mates, to drive around a day or 2 with the negative camber so your springs set and smoothen out, (i drove around for 2 weeks) then i set the camberto get a true set
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

so negative camber would be with just the springs in right? so i can ride and enjoy them like that for a few days then do the bolts and get a allignment?

Paul
Old 06-15-2006, 09:53 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

yep
Old 06-16-2006, 12:02 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

there ya go now shut up and get it done! LOL
Old 06-16-2006, 12:16 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering springs Help please \closed

haha yah im just pricing it and getting an idea on when i can order them!

Paul

Quick Reply: New question about lowering (last post)