Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Went with my wife and looked at cars for her today,

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Went with my wife and looked at cars for her today,

Yeah we had a black and a red one! Now we have a black stang and expedition. You can see pics on my cardomain website.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:43 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Man your gonna get me in trouble, But OK LOL I'll check it out L8R and get some ideas for goodies...Maybe I can lock the garage door and tell my wife I'm working on MY car but really be working on hers.
ORIGINAL: jericho73

ORIGINAL: blazen351

LMAO! I've heard they can be killer modded, I want to mod it sooooo bad, but my wife said "hell no" and then threw something at me, but since she doesn't mind me modding Lola I can get my fix that way and we're both happy.
ORIGINAL: paulboy16

Damn i like ur way of thinking!!!

Yah actualy the diesel vw's are realllllly nice.. but carefull, with a few mods(chip + injectors) it will run 1/4 as fast as ur mustang!!!!

Paul
With just a 600$ chip TDI's can get like over 200 tq, check out vwvortex.com.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 AM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

It depends on what she has to haul. If you dont have to haul anything then get a civic with the CVT technology.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:11 AM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

My wife has a 2003 Corolla S model...has all the spoilers and ground effects... She loves it. Its a little small for me but its a great car...gets about 35-38 depending on conditions.

You can't go wrong putting miles on a toyota or honda. Beware of kia...resale is about the worst possible. Consider all the miles you put on the car and your wife on the road alone...reliability and resale with high miles should be major factors in your decision.

I have personally owned 7 new hondas and 2 new toyotas...about 200k miles and only one rattle fixed at the dealership. Plus I sold new hondas for years but I actually think toyota makes a little nicer car these days. Beware of the kia though...

Try this site for owner reviews....

www.carsurvey.org

very helpful to see actual owner complaints....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 AM
volley

I had a Jetta as well before the Mustang and it was a pretty good car. Got 35MPG. I have the GLI turbo model so it required premium gas so that was the downfall...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

Scion tC, Toyota Corolla, a regular old gasoline Civic (06 motortrend car of the year), ford fusion, chevy cobalt, mitsubishi lancer (not evo), acura RSX (not type S), Scion xA.

I think if she's going to do a LOT of driving a Scion really would be the right choice. All opinions about imports aside w/ respect to rice, toyota almost sells these things at cost it takes to make them and they're insanely nice cars considering what you get for the money. Toyotas are very reliable cars and real cheap to service. both the xA and the tC get good gas mileage as well, I believe, and they're both trimmed out rather nicely to boot.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Corolla S is an awesome little car Very comfy seats, durable, etc.
Best friend has one and I like it.

Saturn perhaps?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

I'd also like to add in retrospect... After seeing what about 18-20k will get you in the new car market... My Mustang looks better every day.

You should have seen how fast salespeople would approach us after seeing us pull in the lot. WHen I had my integra, it would take sometimes as long as 10 minutes.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: windveilpete

So, my wife is getting a job in outside sales, and will require a LOT of driving.... she currently has a 2000 vw beetle, and it gets so-so gas mileage, but the real kicker is going to be the reliability and cost of maintenance issue, plus it's a turbo beetle and she can only run premium gas in it, which compunds the whole gas issue.... So, we went and looked at a honda civic, a kia optima (i sure like their warranty), and a toyota matrix. They were all fairly close pricepoint wise, though I think if i went with just the 06 optima, we could save about 4k, as they are rolling out a new 06.5 style this year. Any other suggestions on something reliable and decent price wise?

Any suggestions welcome.
-Pete
Uhhh, how'd you go from mustang to Toyota Matrix, honda civic, and Kia Optima, or vice-versa? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

If gas mileage is your highest concern along with insurance (a car purchased for business, especially outside business is going to cost a helluva lot more in insurance) Then the stang is out. Price the insurance on it with that being the primary car for outside sales vs say a civic. No comparison.

Hybrids are a waste of money since the cost differential of 3K (more for the hybrid) takes up to 110K miles to make up for just to break even.

Buy the civic or if she does really well an accord and leave it at that. A mustang is not a good choice for a job that requires a lot of business related driving. What happens if she has to take clients to lunch? Good luck fitting an adult in the back seat of a mustang.

I love mustangs but to buy one for what she plans on doing is like buying a Ford Escape (which I have one) to tow a horse trailer [sm=badidea.gif]
Old 06-15-2006, 01:41 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

If you're looking at the Matrix, consider the Pontiac Vibe. We got my wife one and it's been a hell of a little car... very versatile too... storage-wise, it's like a little suv without the off-road capabilities, obviously. It's nice and compact in the city, but fits 4 adults (it does seat 5 quite well, but it gets more cramped) very comfortably on long road trips, which we've done. I added a K&N short ram intake and it really helped with it's pep... and got a nice 4 mpg increase.

It's the exact same car as the Matrix... the outside trim is a little more "grown up." The Vibe has fog lights and a roof rack - much more of a beefier look. I find the Matrix's look to cater to the younger crowd's tastes. Inside, the only way to tell you're in a Matrix or a Vibe is the logo on the horn center stearing wheel button. The Pontiac is also a few thousand less than the Toyota.

I've found the Vibe to be a very nice compliment to the Mustang in our stable.

Quick Reply: Went with my wife and looked at cars for her today,