Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI...

Thanks!

That was my initial impression as well, but I was not really sure. Thanks for clearing that up!

-Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 06:37 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JStang78

ORIGINAL: Tungsten

I seem to be interested in the same thing as you Knight Must be because we're both virtually stock V6.

I've been looking at the CAI & Tune as well and I think C&L is looking most appealing. Regarding the Tune, I have read up on these quite a bit but I'm still not quite sure if you are actually required to go to a dyno shop to get this done, or if you simply calibrate the X-2, for example, and hook it up to your engine....I'm a little confused as usual Can someone explain this whole tuning process? Thanks as always for the help!

-Mike
From my understanding (I don't have the tuner or CAI yet, either) when you order the tuner from any of the oft-referenced places on the board here, they come pre-loaded with a few (3, usually) tunes for your car (you provide them basic info about your mods, what gas they sell in your area, etc.) based on the information you give them. A dyno shop will CUSTOM tune YOUR car. Meaning, they put it up on the dyno and tweak the tune to get the best response from YOUR vehicle. In a sense, the tunes that come pre-programmed in the tuner are more "generic" (for lack of a better word), and a dyno tune is exclusively set to the specs of your specific vehicle.
this sounds VERY intresting. how much would it run me to do a custom dyno tune?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V6MustangKnight

I seem to be interested in the same thing as you Knight Must be because we're both virtually stock V6.

I've been looking at the CAI & Tune as well and I think C&L is looking most appealing. Regarding the Tune, I have read up on these quite a bit but I'm still not quite sure if you are actually required to go to a dyno shop to get this done, or if you simply calibrate the X-2, for example, and hook it up to your engine....I'm a little confused as usual Can someone explain this whole tuning process? Thanks as always for the help!

-Mike
From my understanding (I don't have the tuner or CAI yet, either) when you order the tuner from any of the oft-referenced places on the board here, they come pre-loaded with a few (3, usually) tunes for your car (you provide them basic info about your mods, what gas they sell in your area, etc.) based on the information you give them. A dyno shop will CUSTOM tune YOUR car. Meaning, they put it up on the dyno and tweak the tune to get the best response from YOUR vehicle. In a sense, the tunes that come pre-programmed in the tuner are more "generic" (for lack of a better word), and a dyno tune is exclusively set to the specs of your specific vehicle.
Depends on the tuner. Some may charge up to $250 to tune your car.

You're only getting a C&L intake, so I wouldn't recommend dumping any more cash than you need. A canned tune will work just fine. Now.. throw in a few more mods; LSD and gears, bigger wheels, UD pulleys, new driveshaft, then you probably would need a custom tune. Of course, forced induction (super/turbochargers) will require a custom tune, most of the time.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

-Mike

You're only getting a C&L intake, so I wouldn't recommend dumping any more cash than you need. A canned tune will work just fine. Now.. throw in a few more mods; LSD and gears, bigger wheels, UD pulleys, new driveshaft, then you probably would need a custom tune. Of course, forced induction (super/turbochargers) will require a custom tune, most of the time.
could i get a custom tune prior to all those mods? cuz i can afford 250 for a custom tune
Old 06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

-Mike

could i get a custom tune prior to all those mods? cuz i can afford 250 for a custom tune
Haha, not a chance. Modding isn't cheap! Be ready to turn your wallet inside out man!

You MUST buy a tuner, SCT X-calibrator 2. Around $300.

You MUST have the CAI before you take it to the dyno, otherwise there's no way the guy can accurately determine the proper A/F (air/fuel) mixture. He'd have to guess, which I'm sure he doesn't want to do and you don't want to do. You'll be better off with a canned tune in this scenario.

If you want to do a custom tune, you'll have to dump about $550 onto your C&L intake and SCT X2 tuner, then take everything to your local dyno shop and dump another $250-ish on the guy's lap.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

-Mike

Haha, not a chance. Modding isn't cheap! Be ready to turn your wallet inside out man!

You MUST buy a tuner, SCT X-calibrator 2. Around $300.

You MUST have the CAI before you take it to the dyno, otherwise there's no way the guy can accurately determine the proper A/F (air/fuel) mixture. He'd have to guess, which I'm sure he doesn't want to do and you don't want to do. You'll be better off with a canned tune in this scenario.

If you want to do a custom tune, you'll have to dump about $550 onto your C&L intake and SCT X2 tuner, then take everything to your local dyno shop and dump another $250-ish on the guy's lap.
sounds like a plan!!!