Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

Default LSD?

ok, need help on what i can do for this!!! people help me!!!! how would i go about changing my LSD?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LSD?

You mean change your open slip to a limited slip. If your a mechanic just jack up the rear, open the diff and have a fun fest. LOL If you like me just go pay someone about $300 - $400 to get it installed. You might want to put in some 3.73's with the T-lok since you'll have it open u can do it at the same time, no point in have to pay twice the labor to have the diff ripped open twice or you doing it twice. Just do it all at once but Remember to get some of Ford's friction modifier for the t-lok. I still haft to get mine added in.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:16 AM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

Rick hit it on the nail. One thing that I would like to say is that you may want to SEARCH! also do you have a manual or an automatic? The manuals usually go to the 3.73 gears and the automatics tend to use the 4.10 gears. They say the test is if you can drive your automatic around with the Overdrive off then you can handle the 4.10 gears.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:31 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elektra

Rick hit it on the nail. One thing that I would like to say is that you may want to SEARCH! also do you have a manual or an automatic? The manuals usually go to the 3.73 gears and the automatics tend to use the 4.10 gears. They say the test is if you can drive your automatic around with the Overdrive off then you can handle the 4.10 gears.
i have an automatic. and what do u mean a friction mod for the t-lok? i'm a little lost...
Old 06-16-2006, 04:13 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

You mean change your open slip to a limited slip. If your a mechanic just jack up the rear, open the diff and have a fun fest. LOL If you like me just go pay someone about $300 - $400 to get it installed. You might want to put in some 3.73's with the T-lok since you'll have it open u can do it at the same time, no point in have to pay twice the labor to have the diff ripped open twice or you doing it twice. Just do it all at once but Remember to get some of Ford's friction modifier for the t-lok. I still haft to get mine added in.
T-5 (5 speeds) go with 4.10s their 5th gear ratio is .72, so 4.10s are fine and will net you a 2 mpg loss if that
Old 06-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V6MustangKnight

i have an automatic. and what do u mean a friction mod for the t-lok? i'm a little lost...
Limited slips, like the Ford T-Lok use a clutch arrangement to transfer power between the wheels. They require an extra fluid called friction modifier be added to the rear end, along with the gear oil. This changes the characteristics of the oil to allow the clutches to operate properly and not slip or chatter.

Some gear oils already have limited slip additives in them (read the label)

Alternatively you can take a look at a limited slip such as the Detroit Trutrac, which has no clutches (the clutch plates will eventually wear out, requiring the diff to be rebuilt) to replace down the road, transfers more torque to the opposite wheel than a Trac-lok, and doesn't need the gear oil modified. It does cost more up front though,
Old 06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Torch_Vert

ORIGINAL: V6MustangKnight

Limited slips, like the Ford T-Lok use a clutch arrangement to transfer power between the wheels. They require an extra fluid called friction modifier be added to the rear end, along with the gear oil. This changes the characteristics of the oil to allow the clutches to operate properly and not slip or chatter.

Some gear oils already have limited slip additives in them (read the label)

Alternatively you can take a look at a limited slip such as the Detroit Trutrac, which has no clutches, which will eventually wear out, to replace down the road, transfers more torque to the opposite wheel than a Trac-lok, and doesn't need the gear oil modified. It does cost more up front though,
yup usually they are about $350, but if you keep your car for a while, you will need to replace the T-lok, which are 200 each
Old 06-16-2006, 05:30 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

ok, this is alot for me to understand....so then if i buy the T-lok lsd and keep the car for long....i'll have to replace them later?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

If it's setup properly, the posi lube is checked, and you don't throw a lot of horsepower at it should last 60K-80K miles anyway.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol if you not smoking your tires, it will last you forever

the only time it will engage and wear it self is if there is a loss of traction

you could lose traction once a week, and your lsd can still be good till you drive the car into the ground, it only wears for that instant it engages and disengages

Quick Reply: LSD?