Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 AM
pbg711
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Overdrive?

TO KEVIN Change the spark plugs . I averaged 24 in my 04 and the same in my 07. The funny thing is I get better back road milage than highway. Where exactly dos she drive?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys here I am again to straighten out the misinformed. Overdrive is actually just another set of clutches and plates in your auto that makes fifth gear. The only need to turn off OD is going down a steep for long amount of time to save your brakes. Whether or not your in OD has no effect good or bad on the engine. If you dont have OD on you just have the first four gears. Fourth gear is direct drive meaning that it is a 1:1 gear ratio. For Every1 rotation the tranny makes that is 1 rotation the rear end turns. Overdrive is .62:1 meaning that for evertime your rear end turns 1 time the tranny turns .62 times, thats why you will get better mileage running OD. On a 5 speed manual shift 4th is also direct drive with 5th being a overdrive gear. 6 speed manuals 4th is also direct with 5th and 6th gears are overdrive.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:19 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

Shoot, I would like to know the same thing. I never turn my overdrive on. Someone told me if you are going to be driving over 40mph you shouldn't have it on. I don't want to ruin the engine by switching it on and off so I just leave it off.
whoever told you that needs to be shot.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KevinFarr

I have been wondering this about OD. My girlfriend has a V6 2000 Mustang and she gets the gas milage of a V8, about 15-17 miles a gallon. My friend let me borrow his Mustang for a month and it's a '95 and has a V6, and it got about 21 miles a gallon.

I have no idea if the '95 was in OD all the time or not, I never paid attention or had a problem with it. But in my girlfriend's Stang, it gets near terrible milage. For driving under 40MPH should I tell her to have it off? Around this town, there are only two places where you would exceed 40MPH. I've noticed I can zip around easier with OD off and I enjoy it being off but haven't driven her car with it off for long periods of time to see if fuel economy is better. It sounds like it shouldn't make a differance. I just want to know why she gets bad milage and if turning OD off when not nessicary will help.

Thanks
Kevin,

Several things could be effecting mileage:
1. Engine maintenance, when was last tune up? plugs, air filter etc.
2. A lot of "low speed" driving, turn off the OD. I think the 2000 has 3 gears + the OD. Making the engine "lug" in any gear (under 1500 RPM) will put undue stress on the driveline and waste gas.
3. Driving habits.
a.Does your girlfriend accelerate slowly and then COAST to a stop?
b. or does she accelerate with a heavy foot then slam on the brakes at the red light?
4. Rear axle gear ratios? Is the pony stock (3.xx) or did she get the car from some high school kid that threw in a set of 4.10 gears?

Just some fuel for the fire.

On my stang, I can get upwards of 30 mpg on the highway (between 60-75, light throttle and lots of coasting), or 24 mpg with an average of 70-85 with a steady pedal. I have the stock 3.31 gears.

Here's an exampleof being on my best behavior.

Not too bad an estimate for 1 tank of gas.

SOHC
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Mustang_guy17
2nd Gear Member

How did u get that screen up... I cant get mine to tell me that..
Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Anytime you want engine braking(driving in heavy traffic,descending) turnOD OFF. This comes straight out of the owners manuel.Driving in heavy traffic can be a pain,having to hit the brakes every time you want to slow down just a bit. With OD off the car will slow down some just by taking your foot off the gas. This is called engine braking. Read the owners manuel,lots of good advice in there.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

It seems like there's no reason to ever turn it off unless you are in a big rush. I've turned mine off before when trying to just jam the car around on the freeway and the street, but when you're up to speed you don't need to turn it off because when you floor it, it turns off automatically for you anyway. I'm not really that nimble of a driver so I generally leave all those features on and just drive like a regular person. Too worried about getting into a wreck with a nice car.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

but when you're up to speed you don't need to turn it off because when you floor it, it turns off automatically for you anyway.

Hardly anyone understands what overdrive is. It is NOT something that turns on and off folks. It is just the highest gear, 5th in your case. When you floor it the tranny will downshift to 4th out of overdrive which is just another word for 5th. Older ponies and most chevy with automatics with overdrive have 4 gears. 1st 2nd D(which is 3rd) and OD(which is 4th). OD is not just something that comes on and off...its a gear...its always there...its just a case of being in overdrive gear or out of overdrive gear. Its called overdrive because the axle is geared over the trannies highest gear ratio. The gear right below in overdrive is direct drive (D) because the gear ratio between the tranny and rear gear is 1:1. OD for our ponies with autos is .62:1. I kinda get the feeling some still wont understand even though I cant explain it any clearer [&:]
Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

but when you're up to speed you don't need to turn it off because when you floor it, it turns off automatically for you anyway.

Hardly anyone understands what overdrive is. It is NOT something that turns on and off folks. It is just the highest gear, 5th in your case. When you floor it the tranny will downshift to 4th out of overdrive which is just another word for 5th. Older ponies and most chevy with automatics with overdrive have 4 gears. 1st 2nd D(which is 3rd) and OD(which is 4th). OD is not just something that comes on and off...its a gear...its always there...its just a case of being in overdrive gear or out of overdrive gear. Its called overdrive because the axle is geared over the trannies highest gear ratio. The gear right below in overdrive is direct drive (D) because the gear ratio between the tranny and rear gear is 1:1. OD for our ponies with autos is .62:1. I kinda get the feeling some still wont understand even though I cant explain it any clearer [&:]
i understand O/D! . i tried explaining to my friends also but the concept seems to escape them [&:]. when i turn o/d off, it stays off. only time it turns back on (no "O/D OFF" light), is when i restart my car or manually hit the button. i turn my o/d off when i'm climbing steep grades on roads or highways. Or, if i'm driving the streets and want quicker acceleration when i'm at 40+mph (i'm generally a safe driver, dont worry ).
Old 12-13-2007, 02:08 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

My Conversion Van is automatic with an overdrive. I always drive it in overdrive.

The Mustang is manual so 5th gear to us is like overdrive. I use it when going over 45 mph.

Quick Reply: Overdrive?