Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2 questions about cold air & exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
wwsatando

Default 2 questions about cold air & exhausts

Hello folks...

New to the forums and also new to Mustangs. The wife decided she wanted to buy one, so we decided on a V6 mainly because she cannot drive a stick It's her car, so who am I to argue? Anywho, I'd like to add some bolt-ons for fun. I've been told that going cold air can help a little via the HP and mileage. I'm sure someone here likely uses one, so is there any input that they can provide or even recommendations on a brand? Also, are there any issues with voiding a factory warranty by adding these on? And is there anywhere cheaper than ebay to buy them?

As for the exhaust, I just want something with a little growl for fun. I've heard one with a low flow that sounded decent enough, but how loud is it inside the car (this is a convertible BTW)? What about duals? Any advantages to go that route?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Zack
Old 06-28-2006, 02:18 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 2 questions about cold air & exhausts

Ok I'll try to help.......Pls correct me anyone if I am wrong anyone....

I'm sure someone here likely uses one
Who doesn't

For exhaust check the link abobe at top of the forum..... there are lots of clips (sound clips)
Virtually no HP gain from single to Dual.....(I personally like the JBA "H" setup for duals).
As for CAI (Cold Ait Intake) people swear that the combination of a C&L and Xcal2 tune does wonders........

Hope it helped!! And welcome to the forums!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

my mileage increased from 19 to 22 city with my mods, and noticable power and sound.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41550/41657BB4D71E48E790BD9295CDC1E0BD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

The main thing to realize is that you need to retune your cars computer after adding a CAI. The best combos for your buck are a SCT Xcal II tuner along with either a Demolet or C&L CAI. You can purchase a tuner/CAI/custom tune package from places like Bamachips or Alternative auto for about $600 to $650.

As for exhaust, I would recommend the MRT axle back if you are going for a single exhaust. Good gains, and it's loud as hell. If you want to go dual, I would recommend purchasing two GT take-off mufflers from ebay. Then have an H-pipe installed at a muffler shop.

Here is what I am currently running:
Demolet CAI/SCT Xcal II/3 custom tunes from Bamachips: $600
GT take-off exhaust with GT h-pipe: $300 installed

The car feels like a totally different beast after these two mods. Exhaust note is deeper and louder (not too loud, I have a vert and it sounds great with the top down.) Throttle response is MUCH better, and the shifts are firmer.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

On V6 sn197s a CAI will add roughly 10 rwhp along with about 12-15 rwt. Now a buddy of mine got a cai for his V6 and didn't need to retune the ecu, although I've heard both ways, but I still reccommend the tuner as it is a pretty big help. As far as the exhaust goes, it's true dual or nothing. Get a V6 x pipe, off road if you want more sound, and a pair of GT catbacks, I say Magnaflow for the win. The exhaust adds about the same gains as the cai does.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

There are intakes you can do that don't require a tune, but the gains are minimal. Your best bet is to go intake and tune as stated above.

Exhaust I view as a personal decision. I would not put duals on a 6. I went with an MRT aeroturbine axleback and am VERY happy. May be louder than what you want with the vert though. Duals are really only for look on the 6. oh and a bit of vanity
Old 06-28-2006, 04:34 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Well done Tino.....welcome to the forum wwsatando...this forum is L O A D E D with plenty of resources to help you decide, travel around & see how it works for you. I have the C&L CAI = XcalII tuner w/3 tunes (89-91-93) and it was night & day difference from stock. You will definitely enjoy. I got mine from Evolution Performance for $565, there are several others such as Alternative auto, bamachips, etc... But if you get a CAI, you should get it tuned as well...

Here is a pic of her:

ORIGINAL: tino

Ok I'll try to help.......Pls correct me anyone if I am wrong anyone....

I'm sure someone here likely uses one
Who doesn't

For exhaust check the link abobe at top of the forum..... there are lots of clips (sound clips)
Virtually no HP gain from single to Dual.....(I personally like the JBA "H" setup for duals).
As for CAI (Cold Ait Intake) people swear that the combination of a C&L and Xcal2 tune does wonders........

Hope it helped!! And welcome to the forums!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/35381/050E7E3C97964CD5A10C25202D4B2921.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
LiquidLenny
1st Gear Member

So, even if a online store sells a CAI and claims it doesn't need to be tuned, you should still have it tuned??? If I could get away with not having it tuned I also get away with not spending a couple hundred more. Can someone give a more definitive answer or specify which CAI's donot require a tune?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

really if your gonna do mods your gonna be stepping on it all the time so your not gonna gain mileage. if you think about it.. but the c&L and xcal2 with alternitave auto tune is probably the best for you.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LiquidLenny

So, even if a online store sells a CAI and claims it doesn't need to be tuned, you should still have it tuned??? If I could get away with not having it tuned I also get away with not spending a couple hundred more. Can someone give a more definitive answer or specify which CAI's donot require a tune?
AFE and K&N do not require tunes for sure. Both run around $200. K&N claims 7 RWHP and the AFE claims 11, I believe.

Quick Reply: 2 questions about cold air & exhausts