Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Making a performance V6....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Making a performance V6....

The Japs have variable valve timing, four valves per cylinder, etc. A stroker motor will make good power but it will cost a ton. That's why most people get power adders. If you have a ton of money go for it. But if you had a ton of money you'd probably have a GT.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Yea, but to be honest the type of people that build fast V6's, build up the engine, stroke it, etc are not doing it cause they can't afford it. They are doing it for a challenge and to be different. So yea, the easy route, and route for someone that wants the power without dealing with all the details should get a GT.

For me, money isn't an issue anymore (now that I'm not paying my nieces college tuition), and I admit, I have thought of trading in for a GT on two occasions. But then I thought, man, if I get this 6 into the 12’s that is saying something. Even low 13’s is saying something. I have had on more than one occasion, people walk up to my car at the track and say something to the effect “that is really impressive”, or “anyone can do that with an 8, but with a V6, now there’s a challenge”. A few 10+ year drag vets have made comments to me that they are considering getting the 6 and building it up, seeing what it can do. In fact, one guy at the track that had a 10 second car said he just bought a V6 to start tinkering with for the track.

For me, I like being different.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Here's my point Rygen: a stroker motor with stage 3 heads will cost you what, $5000+? Then another $1000+ for the install? And you probably wouldn't get the performance that you do with the turbo. In fact I'm fairly certain you wouldn't. It would be a good foundation for what, a power adder? It just doesn't make sense. It's just easier and cheaper to get FI. That's why you did it. That's why most everyone does it. If I had your money i would get a GT and a Saleen SC and be done with it. We're talking 400hp at only 5PSI.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:26 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

"now that I'm not paying my nieces college tuition"

Yikes. You're a good uncle.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Both of you are making good points, and I hear ya. My point was the people that will truly push these cars to thier limits, are people that are borderline professional drag racers and/or performance shops or people with a ton of cash and something to prove.

But ya, Jimp, I see what you mean, hell, its the route I went too. As for my money, well the CFO (my wife) just reallocated my mod funds so that tuition money is now called for. LOL. Crap!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Yea, feel free to PM me or go to a OT section for this one, I can write a friggin book. 5 years of hell and money....LOL.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LX200

Rygen is a good guy. =)
Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

Im just curious if its possible to make a performance V6 without Turbos, Super chargers or Nitrous. I mean somewhere over 300hp.
Yes. But you can get there a lot quicker and easier with a power adder. If you build up a n/a motor to the same level as what you'll get from a power adder, it will be much less driveable on the street.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:46 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

Hey Rygen... I'm sure you had your hands full... But it's nice to see someone who cares for family as much as you do [sm=smiley20.gif]

I agree with your views that some of us could have gotten a GT with GT power, but where is the fun in that... I have learned so much working on my 6 and getting it to the point where even some modded GT's can't catch it, and met so many great people doing it- I wouldn't change it.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
bluhawkshockey31
2nd Gear Member

My thing is i just turned 17, so i dont have the x-tra money layin around after buying the stang to get a blower or expensive things, and i didnt have the extra 3-4 grand to get the GT. or afford the insurance. So im going to have to do all bolt ons to gain as much power as i can

Quick Reply: Making a performance V6....