Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

? for those w/ Tuner on their 4.0/auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:50 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default ? for those w/ Tuner on their 4.0/auto

A tuner is definitely on my To-Do List, but I have a question for those with automatics.

Lately, I've started manually shifting my auto through the first three gears (not every time, but occasionally). Stock, the engine continues to rev several hundred RPM's after shifting from 1 to 2 (not so bad on the 2 to 3 shift), and I have to shift ahead of when I want to shift to avoid over-revving the motor (short of hitting the rev limiter). Did the tuner firm up the shifts when manually shifting your auto from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3? I didn't know if a tuner improved this aspect or not. TIA.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ? for those w/ Tuner on their 4.0/auto

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

A tuner is definitely on my To-Do List, but I have a question for those with automatics.

Lately, I've started manually shifting my auto through the first three gears (not every time, but occasionally). Stock, the engine continues to rev several hundred RPM's after shifting from 1 to 2 (not so bad on the 2 to 3 shift), and I have to shift ahead of when I want to shift to avoid over-revving the motor (short of hitting the rev limiter). Did the tuner firm up the shifts when manually shifting your auto from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3? I didn't know if a tuner improved this aspect or not. TIA.
Yes, a tuner will definitely firm up your shifts! Also with the latest version of the firmware for the X-Cal2 you can adjust the shift pressure right on the X-Cal2 when you go to flash your car!

Also, even though your are manually shifting your car... the computer is still in control! When you shift you basically telling the computre you want to shift... it then decides whether or not it's safe to shift... if it's safe it will go ahead and shift..

And yes, the stock shifts are incredibly soft (and slow!)
Old 07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

what scrming said. do you have any other questions?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

onefastv6 Date 7/3/2006 3:07:17 PM
what scrming said. do you have any other questions?
Yes, which tuner & CAI is best? (I am so kidding!). Thanks to both of you. I had read that a tuner would improve shift points, but nothing was said (that I saw) about manually shifting an auto after doing a tuner. I am so close to biting the bullet and running up to Evolution for a SCTII and CAI. Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Evolution has the best price for the C&L and tuner combo. Plus, if you are near him, I believe he gives you two free dyno pulls. I have the 93 octane tune, it kicks butt. Basically made me stop wishing I had the GT. With 93 tune, CAI and muffler, the V6 is plenty fast.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:17 AM
xXxMUSTANGxXx
1st Gear Member

when you shift like that is it good for the automatic
i mean the transm.
i drive it like i stole it and its automatic
and i change the gears manual you know 1,2,3
i love 2 play with it
so what you think
Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xXxMUSTANGxXx

when you shift like that is it good for the automatic
i mean the transm.
i drive it like i stole it and its automatic
and i change the gears manual you know 1,2,3
i love 2 play with it
so what you think
Manually shifting the car should not be a problem... even when you manually shift the car the computer is still controlling the shifts... When you move the shift lever you are not really shifting the tranny... you are simply telling the computer that you want car to shift and if the computer decides it's safe to shift, the computer will cause the tranny to shift...

That being said.... down shifts on our trannys are very clunking... clunky to the point that it kind of scares me! LOL!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Evolution has the best price for the C&L and tuner combo. Plus, if you are near him, I believe he gives you two free dyno pulls.
LX200,

Would this be Evolution on RTE 452?

Old 07-04-2006, 12:36 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

jude69 Date 7/4/2006 10:15:38 AM

ORIGINAL: LX200

Evolution has the best price for the C&L and tuner combo. Plus, if you are near him, I believe he gives you two free dyno pulls.
LX200,

Would this be Evolution on RTE 452?
Yes, I believe the road through Aston PA is Rt 452. Here's their link: Evolution Performance

For those not familiar with the place, they are in Aston, PA, just off I-95 & south of the Philly airport.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

[/quote]

Yes, I believe the road through Aston PA is Rt 452. Here's their link: Evolution Performance

For those not familiar with the place, they are in Aston, PA, just off I-95 & south of the Philly airport.
[/quote]

28hopup,

Thanks for the info and confirmation. I pass this place on my way to College. This place is also near my second office (work). Do you know anything about this place? Are they good/reliable? This place would be perfect for me, because of the location.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: ? for those w/ Tuner on their 4.0/auto