Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New XCharger Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:57 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New XCharger Numbers

anyone know when? and where?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Its supposed to be in a couple weeks. The Cali version is 3,200, and the HI-Pro kit is 4,100. for me, the 4k price for the Hi-pro kit just doesn't constetute the 4g's price tag for something that doesn't put out 300whp & 300wtq. For about $800 more you get your *** blown with the PH Turbo[sm=badbadbad.gif].
But i guess you have to ask yourself what you want, Do you want the blower sound? Do you want Vortech or PC? Do you want to take it to the drag or regular racing?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paulboy16

Hopefully under 3000, but the more power they produce and the more people post about it, the higher the price will be!

Paul
The official word was they were going to sell a few 50-state test kits for 3400. There has been no official word on the "regular" pricing though. The kits on their web site for the 4.0 Explorer and Ranger app's range from 3700 to 4300, I think that's where the Mustang kit prices will eventually land as well.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:09 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Doug has posted some pics... I just gotta say... sweet!!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49739
Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 AM
TheBest159
1st Gear Member

is this the CA smog legal version?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:45 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

the one of the pics is the 49 state version.
And thats 3400 does not include a tuner if i remember correctly, so figure 3800 as an introductory price.

Also, add one mod to my list above, i just ordered my driveshaft from powerhouse.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:57 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

sweet making peek almost instantly!
drewling[8D]
Old 07-05-2006, 06:57 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The real deal will be to see what this thing does on the 1/4. I am looking forward to that.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:08 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Damage INC
Nothing to back them up? Talking out of my Turdcutter?

Sorry, I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I've probably got more experience with this engine than anyone here in the forum.

Do you have any idea how overwhelmingly overcomplicated this engine is? It's not like the 4.6, a simple OHC engine. It's plagued with Timing chain cassette failures, Tensioner problems, Valve spring issues..

In case you don't know, I'll try to summarize things. It's got a crankshaft, right? But instead of the crank directly driving the cams, the crank instead turns a long shaft in place of where the camshaft in the old OHV 4.0's was, via a chain. This shaft, called a "Jackshaft" has 2 more chains swinging around it. One chain drives the camshaft for bank 2, and this chain is located in the front of the engine. The other chain is in the BACK, and is basically impossible to access/service without removing the engine completely. This chain drives the bank 1 cam. This rear chain cassette is relatively prone to breaking, and even though Ford has released an updated cassette, it still breaks. The tensioners, however, are on the OUTSIDE if the engine and screw directly through the cylinder heads to try and maintain pressure on the guides.

In attempt to save money, the head castings are identical from side to side, much like the modular engine family. But, unlike the mods, there is no full length timing cover, so the chain guides and chains and cassettes pass through the clinder head castings itself, which is why one chain is driven from the front and one is driven from the rear.

The cam gears aren't keyed by any means either. They rely solely on bolt torque to keep them properly seated on the camshaft. For this reason, under a basic thread pattern, the rotational twist of the jackshaft will inerently try to "loosen" the cam gear retaining bolt for bank 1. So, the bank 1 cam gear bolt is reverse threaded. That may have been the only decent idea that went into this engine.

Hell, some of these engines need a balance shaft as well, which is driven by ANOTHER geared shaft, which is driven by ANOTHER chain connected to the crank.

Now, add a relatively weak block, TINY rods, super weak pistons, and 300+ rwhp @ over 6,000 rpms and you might have a vague idea of where I'm coming from.

I've had enough of these things apart to know that I wouldn't EVER try to squeeze any extra power out of one.

Not to mention that the V6 comes with the notoriously useless T-5 transmission and equally worthless 7.5 inch rear axle. The only way that buying a new V6 mustang as a performance option would make sens would be to do it for the initial lower payments and savings on insurance. Then, tear the ENTIRE DRIVETRAIN out of it, sell it, and use the money you've made on it to build up something that might last a few months.

That almost made me cry. Makes me feel like my car will explode if i step on the gas.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Don't let it get to you, we have digested that post so many times is sick!!!! You have to keep in mind the 4.0 has gone through its own evolution, and when they first came out in the explorers and rangers, they had a lotof issues with the timing chains. In all reality its a mature platform now, and these issues have since been resolved.

The SSM article is similiar, makes it sound like the engine will blow with any power adder. Frankly, its all in the tune!

Quick Reply: New XCharger Numbers