Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which exhaust to choose out of this list? Looking for sound and HP gains.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Default Which exhaust to choose out of this list? Looking for sound and HP gains.

Looking to change my muffler for a new axle back. The ones I'm considering are:

*MRT
*MAC
*Magnaflow

I'm looking for performance gain and sound. I've heard these three via the exhaust clips sticky, and they all sound pretty good. For sound, I'm leaning more towards the MRT and MAC. I've heard because the Magnaflows are straight through that they get the best HP gains though. From what I've read, I'm guessing around 10hp max for a gain if I'm lucky since I'm all stock.

My car is a manual (my first) and I'm looking for something that sounds great when cruising around with the RPMs up a little. It's one of the main reasons I got a manual (besides the obvious control factor).

I thought about SLP but I haven't seen an axelback for the V6 mentioned from them. I'm also thinking that since it's a V6 that might not sound so good. I did hear an exhaust clip on the sticky from a V6 that had no muffler though (fired up during the process of the swap from stock to something else). It actually sounded pretty good at idle and slight rev, but I have no clue how it would sound when taking off and hitting 5k RPM. My guess is not so good.

Let me know what you think guys! I'm sure this will be a mixed opinion post, but the more the better.

BTW, I'm loving the Stang.

Also - does the search on this site work? I searched in this thread for "exhaust" and it didn't pull anything back? What's the deal there?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:32 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Which exhaust to choose out of this list? Looking for sound and HP gains.

The MRT is great, I think Scrming dyno'd it and it has the highest gains. Either way, I love the sound. Epsecially in parking garages and under bridges and on the street and in the driveway...well basically whenever the car is running. I had my doubts about it at first, but it sounds really good, and the more it gets broken in the better it sounds.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which exhaust to choose out of this list? Looking for sound and HP gains.

ORIGINAL: blazen351

The MRT is great, I think Scrming dyno'd it and it has the highest gains. Either way, I love the sound. Epsecially in parking garages and under bridges and on the street and in the driveway...well basically whenever the car is running. I had my doubts about it at first, but it sounds really good, and the more it gets broken in the better it sounds.
Great! I noticed it costs a lot more than the MAC - that's really my only holdback with it. If it's the best though, I would consider that money well spent.

The MRT sounds a little funny in the higher RPM on some of the vids/clips I've heard on here. Let me specify - it sounds funny when in neutral and revving to higher RPM. It does NOT sound funny when under load at high RPM. In other words, I'm afraid that at the "stop light rev" I've be looked at weird.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:50 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Gt take offs mufflers and x pipe
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

yea gt mufflers are beast with x pipes
Old 07-10-2006, 07:49 PM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

note..
i had a stock exhaust then added s/c.. dynoed.. when i went for a re dyno after the magnaflows were installed the base line was the same . i had NO GAIN .....
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: armycook1981

note..
i had a stock exhaust then added s/c.. dynoed.. when i went for a re dyno after the magnaflows were installed the base line was the same . i had NO GAIN .....
Wouldn't expect that. How in the world did you have no gain? I guess the straight through doesn't do so much for the V6, or what? I would think it would, but who knows. I'm not an expert on this stuff.

I am probably going to order an MRT tonight. I'm going to listen to a couple other clips that I can find and see what I think and maybe go from there. It's either MAC or MRT I think at this point (unless I can find a clip of an SLP on a V6 that sounds good!).
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Went with the MAC after listening to many clips. The MRT sounds more 'racey' to me instead of throaty. Could be the clips, I don't know. I had MAC on my last mustang, and I swapped to Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla, etc... I always went back to MAC. So I'll just try them first this time. I'll either love it or want something else later! I have a feeling it'll be the former.

I'll post a clip after I get it installed. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

seeing as I had a base dyno with just the procharger. then i installed the dual magnaflows .. so it went cats>to y collector>magnaflow y>duals mufflers... the sound and responiveness changed escpically the s/c sound ... then went to fla had got dynoed again and on his base run it was the same.. so tell me why again.. not like it was a seat of pants.. both on dynojets.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

a lot of people seem to be happy with their MRT

Quick Reply: Which exhaust to choose out of this list? Looking for sound and HP gains.