Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

newb question on CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: newb question on CAI

Just keep this in mind

"There isn't a CAI that doesn't require a tune......." The ones that claim thatthey do not need it, simply lean your car to make the hp......

I just got a wideband A/F gauge and the readings don't lie.... If you want pep from a CAI buy one that does require a tune (Can tune) and buy the programmer....

IMO C@L Intake and SCT tuner seems to be the general choice with proven safe gains.....

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slowryde45

LOL...points taken. But point is...some of us don't want to drop alot of $$$. If one can pick up enough of a gain from a simple "tune-free" CAI or drop-in filter and a muffler change for a few hundred bucks, then it's worth it. But from what I've been reading and seeing in threads and posts on all the different forums, mags, etc., folks are dropping quite a bit of dinero on these cars.

Not trying to sound like an old fogey or anything, but wouldn't it have been easier to start with the V8 at that point? Sure they costs a few grand more, but some of the modded V6's I've seen have got to have at least that much into them. But to each his/her own.

I guess the "old fogey" in me is catching up or something. I got most of my jollies out a few years back behind the wheels of earlier pony cars, including a '68 GT500KR and a '71 Boss. I want to keep the '06 more of a cruiser, with a little growl and punch for when you need it, but don't really need to be making any stoplight "kills".

Again, thanks for the replies. Who knows, maybe I will take advantage if a group buy comes up for tuners, etc. For now, still reading up on the best bang for the buck, and enjoying all the threads, pics and info in here.

Spend about $400 for an X-Cal2... it will make more of a difference than an CAI... The X-Cal2 will resolve a lot of the shortcomings of the Ford programming... Then later when you want to add a good CAI that requires a tune, you'll already have the X-Cal2...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Hey, thank you for the info there. I was not aware of that. And that applies to all of the ones who are advertizing "no tuning required"? I was just curious as some of the ones who advertize that are well known in the perf. world.

I've been reading more and more on the C & L and so far they seem to be the choice of the majority. The tuners have me more in the fog than anything else. First of all, I've never used one, so know basically squat about them. And there seems to be a split between the Diablo and the SCT as far as popularity. Any reason to go with one over the other...other than price? Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Spend about $400 for an X-Cal2... it will make more of a difference than an CAI... The X-Cal2 will resolve a lot of the shortcomings of the Ford programming... Then later when you want to add a good CAI that requires a tune, you'll already have the X-Cal2...
Thanks scrming. You must have slipped that in as I was responding to the post before yours. That is starting to make more sense to me, the more I read about it. I guess I just have to find more info on how to use one, to feel more comfortable with the purchase and how it works.

Thanks again,
Slo
Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Hey, thank you for the info there. I was not aware of that. And that applies to all of the ones who are advertizing "no tuning required"? I was just curious as some of the ones who advertize that are well known in the perf. world.

I've been reading more and more on the C & L and so far they seem to be the choice of the majority. The tuners have me more in the fog than anything else. First of all, I've never used one, so know basically squat about them. And there seems to be a split between the Diablo and the SCT as far as popularity. Any reason to go with one over the other...other than price? Thanks again.
For automatic tranny's go with the SCT X-Cal2...

Manuals can go with either Diablo or X-Cal2...

If you are ever going to mod the car and will need a custom tune, check with your shop and see if they are an Diablo or SCT dealer... seems the majority around here are SCT...

My personal preference is SCT... the shops i work with are SCT...

Old 07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

did someone say SCT?

ORIGINAL: scrming

For automatic tranny's go with the SCT X-Cal2...

Manuals can go with either Diablo or X-Cal2...

If you are ever going to mod the car and will need a custom tune, check with your shop and see if they are an Diablo or SCT dealer... seems the majority around here are SCT...

My personal preference is SCT... the shops i work with are SCT...