Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

newb question on CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Default newb question on CAI

Since the last mustang I had didn't have all the gadgets under the hood like my V6 does, I'll come to the experts...you guys and gals.

There's probably been a few posts on this subject, but I haven't quite figured out all the options on the forum yet, so bear with me. I just got my legend lime 2006 w/ pony pack 2 weeks ago. After driving it for a while now, I'm pretty happy with the choice to go to V6 instead of the V8 - son will be getting his license this month, so the insurance was a big factor. Anyways, I'd like to tune it up just a bit.

I don't really want to mess with tuners and reprogramming because there really aren't that many speed shops around my area (Portland, Oregon). So my question is, which of the CAI do not require a reflash or tuning and will still provide a decent gain? I've been looking at the AFE Stage I kit and the Air Raid systems, both of which claim 10-13HP with no flashing or tuning. But I'll turn to the experts here for your advice.

Also, any recommendations on a single axle back muffler replacement? Not looking for something too loud in the cabin, as the car will be more of a cruiser than stop light dragster.

Thanks in advance, and great forum.

Slo
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Default RE: newb question on CAI

ORIGINAL: slowryde45

Since the last mustang I had didn't have all the gadgets under the hood like my V6 does, I'll come to the experts...you guys and gals.

There's probably been a few posts on this subject, but I haven't quite figured out all the options on the forum yet, so bear with me. I just got my legend lime 2006 w/ pony pack 2 weeks ago. After driving it for a while now, I'm pretty happy with the choice to go to V6 instead of the V8 - son will be getting his license this month, so the insurance was a big factor. Anyways, I'd like to tune it up just a bit.

I don't really want to mess with tuners and reprogramming because there really aren't that many speed shops around my area (Portland, Oregon). So my question is, which of the CAI do not require a reflash or tuning and will still provide a decent gain? I've been looking at the AFE Stage I kit and the Air Raid systems, both of which claim 10-13HP with no flashing or tuning. But I'll turn to the experts here for your advice.

Also, any recommendations on a single axle back muffler replacement? Not looking for something too loud in the cabin, as the car will be more of a cruiser than stop light dragster.

Thanks in advance, and great forum.

Slo
You can buy a pre-tuned programmer (canned tunes) that are specific for the 4.0 mustang, 100% of people that get them are very very happy with them, along with a cold air intake

also the stock muffler is VERY restrictive, so any replacement muffler or system (JBA, MRT, Gt take off, flowmaster) would be a great upgrade
Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Welcome & congrats on the car. Love the Legend Lime. The K&N Typhoon intake kit is a nice looking piece that claims decent gains and doesn't require a tune, but it costs just as much as the CAI's that do require a tune.

And as Paul said, you don't need a speed shop to run a tuner, you can have a shop like Evolution, Brenspeed, BamaChips, or Alternative Auto write the tunes for you. All you do is plug in the unit below your steering wheel. And for around them same price as a CAI alone, you could get just the tuner instead and I'm sure you'd be happier with the amount of bang for your buck.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
bztz4m
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the Forum, I see have a Legend Lime as well so if you get a chance check out Legend Lime Registry at www.legendlimeregistry.com and sign your LL mustang up.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks for all the replies. I'll have to do more research on the canned tunes option. Still not sure if I want to mess with the tuner or not. But I think I've narrowed down the muffler to a single axle back JBA or maybe a Magnaflow.

Eventually I'll convince the little lady that we need to go to duals and a H-pipe, and maybe then look into tuned intake. But for now, the car is a daily driver that I would like to keep fairly sane, but still have enough nards to get out of it's own way if I have to punch it, and make it sound more like a real pony car.

Thanks again for all the replies and tips. And I'll be sure to check out the Legend Lime Registry, too.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:30 PM
bertkey1
1st Gear Member

If you want to get a custom tune there is a Diablo tuner shop around 202nd and Burnside(i think there is a few diablo shops but i only know of one) and the only close sct 2 tuner shop is fast specialties and their site is http://home.fastspecialties.com/. hope this helps
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Hey, thanks. Glad to see another local in here, too. I know there are a few auto shops right there at that intersection, but I didn't know they handled tuning, too. I'll see if I can find them.

Thanks again for the tip.

Slo
Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I think you missed the point. You don't need a local shop. Virtually nobody on here does. We have 4 or more well known Mustang V6 tuning experts who will ship you an XCal and 3 tunes, and these will light a fire under your car.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

indeed

ORIGINAL: LX200

I think you missed the point. You don't need a local shop. Virtually nobody on here does. We have 4 or more well known Mustang V6 tuning experts who will ship you an XCal and 3 tunes, and these will light a fire under your car.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

LOL...points taken. But point is...some of us don't want to drop alot of $$$. If one can pick up enough of a gain from a simple "tune-free" CAI or drop-in filter and a muffler change for a few hundred bucks, then it's worth it. But from what I've been reading and seeing in threads and posts on all the different forums, mags, etc., folks are dropping quite a bit of dinero on these cars.

Not trying to sound like an old fogey or anything, but wouldn't it have been easier to start with the V8 at that point? Sure they costs a few grand more, but some of the modded V6's I've seen have got to have at least that much into them. But to each his/her own.

I guess the "old fogey" in me is catching up or something. I got most of my jollies out a few years back behind the wheels of earlier pony cars, including a '68 GT500KR and a '71 Boss. I want to keep the '06 more of a cruiser, with a little growl and punch for when you need it, but don't really need to be making any stoplight "kills".

Again, thanks for the replies. Who knows, maybe I will take advantage if a group buy comes up for tuners, etc. For now, still reading up on the best bang for the buck, and enjoying all the threads, pics and info in here.

Quick Reply: newb question on CAI