Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why did You not get a GT instead.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Why did You not get a GT instead.

I totalled my 2004 GT, so after that I couldn't afford the insurance on another GT...

I was impressed with the V6 when I test drove it, after adding a CAI + tune I'm even happier with my choice!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM
JimC

I drove the GT, then drove the Pony edition V6. The cars were optioned identically other than the V8 -- and the almost $5000 price differential didn't make sense to me. I can get a ticket just as quickly in my V6 Pony, and I felt it had enough power to satisfy my needs in a daily driver. It also was a lot different from my V8 Explorer or my wife's Focus ZTS! Been very happy with the V6.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

I was 18 when I bought my first car (which is this mustang) and pushing $1K a month income. I paid $462.64/month for the car and $266/month for insurance. I was quoted over $4000 a year for insurance coverage if I had a Mustang GT. Of course, now I can afford a GT.. but I'd probably be flipped over dead in a ditch if I bought one.
eesh, i was 18 when i bought mine, im 19 now.. impaying 350$ a month, i have 2 years left on payments, and im paying 173$ a month on insurance thats baout 2100$ a year.. ifi got the GT the cheapest quote i could get was 10g's a year :s F that lol
Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i got mine because it was there and i had 20k burning a hole in my pocket. i wasent even ther to get a car i was having my wifes car serviced. the the car fell in love jave my wife the sad puppy dog eyes and the car was mine! love it havin fun with it the only thing i hate about it is the whole why didnt i buy a gt thing.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Gas prices are already at $4.10/gal regular 87 in Hawaii... so geting a Sixer was the more logical choice, plus insurance costs... also in Hawaii we dont have enough road to go over 120MPH so, no sense.. also, WE DONT LIVE IN GRASS SHACKS!!! LOL
Old 07-21-2006, 06:28 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

I like the way Jiraiya put it...

Its the best looking, and fastest car I could afford. I love it!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Unbound

I fell in love with the style of the new Mustang while driving my 99. I took the 6cyl auto for a test drive while waiting for a standard to test that wasn't at the dealers yet. This had great power, enough for me but when the standard came in and I tested that it blew me away. When I pulled out of the dealer’s lot I accidentally squawked the tires and said "holy crap!" I gota have this car! A GT ?... I'd be spun around in a ditch some where.
All the above posts are correct, the 6cyl has more than enough power and at the same time a money saver in several categories. If you want the power of the GT you can add mods and get that kind of power (and more) when funds become available.
We're a proud bunch & we love our 6cyl. Hold your head high and be kind to the ricers that have been led astray (in your rear view mirror) for they know not.
JL
Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 AM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

We had a few different reasons for going with the 6. :My wife really wanted to get a new mustang and i already have a heavily modified 02gt. She was going to be trading in her taurus and using the car as her dd so for price of car, insurance and gas it was just the most logical way to go. Of course, about a week after we got the car i had already found the forums for the v6's and started to see what parts were available already. So within a weeks time i went out and found me a beater Saturn for a dd and handed my ranger over to the wife for dd and started doing some cosmetic mods on the mustang. After getting the car and seeing all the room in the engine compartment it got me very excited to start playing with some performance mods. Now it's just a matter of finishing up a couple little things i still need to change on the GT and then come winter it should be FI time for the sixer. We both enjoy going to the local car shows and always strive to make our mustangs a little different than stock just make them stand out a bit. Had we went with a new GT there would have been no way i could have done any mods to the car. Heck we got the 6 for $19,500, i'm sure we would have been in the 26 range for a gt. $6500 plus the difference in insurance is considerable mod money.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 AM
southernmaine

I looked at the price difference, took the six for a drive and thought "This'll do nicely". I've always been a speed/torque addict, so I'd get into real trouble if I had the GT. Like some others on the board, I have a bike for those thrills (Honda VTX 1800C). I love my V6 and would quickly recommend it to anyone shopping for a Stang.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

Didnt really even consider the GT I love my sixer!!

Quick Reply: Why did You not get a GT instead.