Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone painted pony grill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:15 PM
jroth
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone painted pony grill?

I'm thinking about painting all of the chrome looking pieces that are on the front of my pony grill black. My car is black on black on black. Has anyone painted their grill yet, doen't have to be black. I would like to see some pictures.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone painted pony grill?

I like my grill black, goes with my color scheme. Trying to keep everything yellow or black. I do like your wheels, they are kick azz!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

+1 what kinda of whells are those and are they dd in the back?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
jroth
1st Gear Member

THanks guys. The wheels are 20" Foose and yes the back is deep dish and like 1 1/2 " wider than the front. I'm trying to figure out if I should paint the chrome on my grill black or not. What do you think?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

I say NO you have just enough chrome that it looks good and ties the car together.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I don't have the pony package grill.... HOWEVER I did paint my chrome pony emblem a couple of weeks ago... I cleaned it really good, didn't scuff it or prime it at all... I simply sprayed it with that Krylon Fusion paint they've been advertising on TV... I put quite a few coats on... I figured the stuff would peel off the chrome the first time a bug hit it! I was wrong!!! I've made some pretty long trips since I sprayed it and it still looks GREAT!!! No marks or any sign of peeling/chipping! This stuff is tuff! And the best part is I actually sprayed it myself and got ZERO runs! LOL!

Here's what it looks like:

Old 07-21-2006, 05:42 PM
jroth
1st Gear Member

Man that looks good. How hard was it to take that grill off so you could paint it?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jroth

Man that looks good. How hard was it to take that grill off so you could paint it?
Actually I just popped the emblem off and painted it.... I didn't take the grill off.. however be aware... to remove the pony emblem you basically have to break the posts off that hold it on! The clips are like a one time use deal... I simply put the pony back on with some 3M tape... it's on there very solidly...

Next project will be to take the grille off so i can paint the stupid radiator/cross member or what ever it is... LOL
Old 07-21-2006, 06:00 PM
jroth
1st Gear Member

Nice. I know I"m going to have to take my grill of to paint it and I'm worried that I might break something in the process and not be able to put it back on.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
MUSTloveSTANG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: localgod11

I say NO you have just enough chrome that it looks good and ties the car together.

+1 the hint of chrome looks amazing w/ those amazing wheels!!! I say: DONT DO IT!

Quick Reply: Anyone painted pony grill?