Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Butt first....ouch!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
StangFreak06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Butt first....ouch!!

i hear you. two weeks after i got mine we got a good amount of rain on the way up to a drive in. i was at a four way stop, about to turn left ( south to west). no cars were coming so i felt a little fishtail was in order. started the turn and just popped the throttle real quick. the car spun left 270 degrees and i landed perfectly in the left turning lane facing east. a truck eased passed us about 5 seconds after we stopped spinning and just starred at me as he passed. all i could to was wave with this s*** grin on my face. and i remeber it everytime i see the small black smear on the plastic where my cig hit will i was grabbing for the roof of the car. [sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Lizzy
1st Gear Member

I guess you convinced me..... Now, to find a suitable place.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

You can do it in front of my apartment if you want, j/k j/k. Just find an open parking lot where the cops are never around.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:49 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

A month ago it was raining, as usual, down here...i made a left out of a bank across traffic, back end slid out on the turn and i ended up in an oncomming lane, when I attempted to correct and get back to my lane the back end slid out again and put me into a spin and came to rest head long into a concrete wall.

Just be careful, RWD is very different from most cars out there which are FWD, and the stock 16 tires aren't the greatest, don't screw up like i did. Fortunatly noone but me and the Mustang were hurt.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:50 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

i live by a canyon and i drift around it alot pretty fun dont really liek parking lots not like real drifting to me
Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Your right, but that's how I started drifting. I don't consider it drifting really, but just simply learning how to control the car first. I like mountain areas and hills with lots of turns. That is real drifting to may, going high speed sideways around turns and knowing the fear that i could crash at any second if i lose control for a split second.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:00 PM
matb1980

Glad to hear you're okay and that the Pony escaped unscratched too! I have found the TCS pretty useless too, so far I have managed to wheel spin the thing once or twice and get the rear end out! Once you get used to it, it actually becomes a lot of fun. I have the vert so I have a bit more weight on my rear wheels too - that helps with the drifting a little giving me pretty close to 50/50 weight distribution (I think it's actually 51/49) - now I sound like I'm doing a BMW ad...oops
Old 07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

Glad to here everything is OK!!!

+1 on taking it to the mall parking lot!! I use to do this everyday going to school i would cut through the mall and just go crazy, it was a wide open lot and my crazy ***! I couldnt help myself. I do have to say it did save my *** a couple of times in the winter being able to correct and keep the car in control when you hit black ice or just go out of control.

I think they should have empty lots for new drivers to do this to be able to learn how to correct yourself! I really think there would be less accidents if they did that!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

the parking lot is definetely a good idea though to learn how to get out of spins and getting a tlock helps too o_O
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

glad to hear that you are okay! i actually did that a few times when i first got my car

anyways, as for the open lot thing, make sure your car has broken in (so has like 1k miles on it) and make sure that there is definitly nobody around AT ALL!! if you lose control and somebody is there, even one person, there is no telling what can happen

also, some people mentioned doing this just for fun on the weekends...i would say "no" to that...lol
doing that kind of stuff once in a while is alright, but if you go crazy on your car every other week, you will definitly destroy something which will cost you a lot to fix

plus, that kind of stuff is really harsh on your tires

Quick Reply: Butt first....ouch!!