Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Diff Fluid Looking Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Diff Fluid Looking Black

I have a 2006 Mustang 4.0 Pony Package with Manual transmission.

I have 10,356 kms on the car

I went to get my oil changed and they checked everything else. The mechanic came to me a little concerned with my Rear Diff Fluid. He says the normal color is usually like Apple Juice. He showed me mine and it looks like coke or Coffee. He asked if I have been doing alot of burnouts or towing things...He says its not a huge deal and when I have time he said it would bea good idea to get it drained and replaced

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Diff Fluid Looking Black

a, watch him take it from ur diff, lots of placces fake samples.

I changed mine at 15k, and it still looked fine.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:14 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

fair enough but is it possible that my Diff Fluid could be so dirty already?

the 4.0L Rear Diffs only take 1.5 L of Fluid...it wont hurt buying that and replacing it...its cheap enough.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:15 AM
QWKYNUF

So you have, what - 6000 miles on it? 6500? If the fluid in the rear diff needs to be replaced, it should be your dealer doing it - under warranty.

According to the owner's manual:

"Rear axle lubricants do not need to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required, or the axle assembly has been submerged in water"

Maybe you should ask the guy what the hell we was doing back there in the first place....

Additionally, I spent several years working in and managing oil change shops and there are a couple things you should know.

1: I have never seen or heard of gear lube that looks like "apple juice". Most gear lube is either dark blue or dark green, and has a strong and unpleasant odor.

2: Those places make a fortune on add on sales - air filters, transmission fluid changes, differential fluid changes, pcv valves, some even do air conditioning recharges, coolant flush and I have even seen them doing rock chip repair!

The store managers are given major incentives to push these add-ons. When I worked at what is now the largest chain of oil change shops in the US, we were required to place a sample of all of a vehicle's fluids on a white card - next to a sample of new, unused fluid and say something like:

Me: "Ma'am, excuse me, I wanted to make sure that you had an opportuinty to see the condition of your transmission and other vital fluids"

Cust: "Oh! is that bad?"

Me: "Well you can see it's quite a bit darker than it was when it was new. Have you considered having it changed? We can do it while you wait today for only an additional $39.95. Shall I get the guys started on that?"

Good lord I hated that part of the job....

Anyway, take their recommendations with a grain of salt

QWKYNUF
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

****ing bastards...

Well in 3 weeks when I can get to the dealer I am going to take it in and have them double check everything and make sure this lube **** place didnt **** anything up
Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

all I wanted was a ****ing oil change...

Latley more and more I am starting to hate this world we live in. People are always out to make a buck and they will **** people over if they have to...WHAT the hell ever happened to honesty??? The world got greedy.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 AM
QWKYNUF

I got out of that business because I hated the position I was forced into - people walked in the door expecting to get screwed, and I couldn't make a living without trying to do it....

I had many long and heated arguments with my boss over the value of treating people right and earning their repeat business. I never won, but I still believe I was right.

QWKYNUF
Old 07-26-2006, 03:34 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

i run one of those businesses.

And yes gear oil is a tan color, but its NOT cheap for our rear ends. Takes 75w140 synthetic gear oil, not the standard gl5 gear oil which is cheap.

i really doubt you need a service. I got 31k on my car, and ive done it 3 times on mine, just to be safe, and trans twice.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:52 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Fazm...Royal Purple is GL5 Gear oil...you are saying we cant put Royal Purple gear oil in our cars?
Old 07-26-2006, 03:54 AM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Another for Fazm... The shop that I inquired about a T-lok / gear install said they prefer
Red Line rear end oil. Should I insist on the Ford 75w140 ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Fluid Looking Black