Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

California Emmissions Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:06 PM
WolfRhan

Default California Emmissions Upgrade

Gah!!

So I gather if I move from VA to CA I have to get my car upgraded (or downgraded) to add California emmissions package?

Anyone know what needs to be done, and how much it's gonna cost?

I just hope it costs less than upgrading a GT

Thanks

Wolf

Oh PS I also have a Nissan Frontier, about a 89 I think. Any idea what the situation will be for that?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: California Emmissions Upgrade

Honestly, there is nothing specific I can find. I'm sure most of the issues deal with the catalytic converter and exhaust system.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

No you wont all ford vehicles are California apporved i know this becaus ei bough tmy first stang in arizona because i buy my cars all at once pa in full i mean and here in socal they say if i did that they would charge 4k extra. so i went to arizona and got it. if you look under the hood it has a california emission sticker but when you get here you have to smog it anyways
Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

oh and as for your 89 frontier prolly gonna need to get it fixed to work here
Old 07-28-2006, 04:14 PM
BlueDevil
1st Gear Member

You can register a non CA emissions car if you move to California. Go to CA's DMV web site. They explain everything there. The only thing you *can't* EVER do is buy a new car out of state and then attempt to register it. You can buy a used car out of state and register it. But it must have more than 7k miles on it. But new cars are not allowed.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Yes oyu can buy a new car out of state I did. what happens is you dont pay that staes taxes. when you come to register back in CA you have to pay taxes for your state. Also when i did it the dealer had to drive the car back into california befor ei signed the final paper. i got my car from galpin ford in arizona Dewey arizona i think call them and ask how its done they did it for me
Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
BlueDevil
1st Gear Member

Here is right from the CA DMV web site.

What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Aren’t All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.
Check the Label

To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:45 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

yep thats what isaid cept in a more formal way :P [8D]
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 PM
WolfRhan

Thanks guys,

I looked under the hood and sure enough, there's a CA emmissions sticker. The Frontier has one too. This isn't going to cost me a dime.

BTW There really are two girls for every guy out there, right? Cuz I'm gonna need one one for the Mustang and one for the truck. [8D]

Wolf
Old 07-28-2006, 11:34 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

it will cost you to get a new check when u get here u have to do it even with the sticker

Quick Reply: California Emmissions Upgrade