Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang dies starting out from stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
brianm66

Default Mustang dies starting out from stop sign

Over the past three days, the engine on my '06 Mustang V6 has died twice part way out in an intersection trying to get going from a stop sign. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'll be taking it by the dealer soon to have them look over it, I was just wondering what to expect. The only mod on the vehicle is dual gt-takeoff exhaust with a custom H pipe, they won't give me any trouble about that will they?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang dies starting out from stop sign

their gonna try to say say some claim that the pressure(which there is none) from duals killed the engine but they should do the warranty work. unless their a cool dealership
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
brianm66

ORIGINAL: petepete

their gonna try to say say some claim that the pressure(which there is none) from duals killed the engine but they should do the warranty work. unless their a cool dealership
So there is warranty work to be done? I wouldn't have thought the exhaust would cause that, but I probably don't know enough about it to make that determination either. I'm a little bit worried about it, I hope that didn't cause it...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

no the exhaust most likely would not have caused it. but the dealer will most likely try to say it is to get out of warranty work. just letting you know if they say that you gotta complain so they do the warranty work they would rather you pay for it because they make more money that way. Just if they say the exhaust caused it either take it to another dealer or complain to ford because the repair should be free
Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brianm66

Over the past three days, the engine on my '06 Mustang V6 has died twice part way out in an intersection trying to get going from a stop sign. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'll be taking it by the dealer soon to have them look over it, I was just wondering what to expect. The only mod on the vehicle is dual gt-takeoff exhaust with a custom H pipe, they won't give me any trouble about that will they?

Thanks!

Brian
Brian, you mentioned that its happened twice - how long between each event and when did it happen last? Did this start b4 or after you installed the duals? If after, how long after? You didn't mention whether your CEL came on after you re-started, did it?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
brianm66

[/quote]
Brian, you mentioned that its happened twice - how long between each event and when did it happen last? Did this start b4 or after you installed the duals? If after, how long after? You didn't mention whether your CEL came on after you re-started, did it?
[/quote]

It probably happened a day and a half apart, last happened at 5:03 this evening leaving the parking lot at work. It started after I installed the duals, by about 2 weeks, so I don't think that's going to be hurting me I just thought it was notable since it was the only mod I've made. The CEL has stayed off the entire time.

I've got a C&L intake and tuner coming on Wednesday I was wanting to install, but I'm afraid to do it now for fear of making it worse, or voiding the warranty on the engine since something's obviously not quite right.

Thanks guys!

Brian
Old 07-31-2006, 09:13 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Yea i would definetely get it checked before the cai and tuner
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Had you been on a long highway stretch at highway speeds before coming to a stop? Did you happen to jerk your foot off the gas a bit when you heard the car hesitate? My '06 V6 is in the shop right now for a TSB service that matches my symptoms at least. It only died on me once when I reacted with the reflex to let off the gas when it hesitated, the other times, it kept going after the hesitation because I left my foot in the same position on the gas.

Might not be your issue, but it could be from air bubbles forming in the fuel pump during a long cruise, then being sucked down after stopping and then accelerating. Here's a link to my thread on it TSB 06-9-9

I'm surrpised not more folks have had this issue, but then again, if you drive short hops around town and even at highways speeds, it might not ever happen to you. I drive long distances periodically, so this has come up a few times and now it is being fixed. I should know something tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:02 AM
brianm66

ORIGINAL: celenztah

Had you been on a long highway stretch at highway speeds before coming to a stop? Did you happen to jerk your foot off the gas a bit when you heard the car hesitate? My '06 V6 is in the shop right now for a TSB service that matches my symptoms at least. It only died on me once when I reacted with the reflex to let off the gas when it hesitated, the other times, it kept going after the hesitation because I left my foot in the same position on the gas.

Might not be your issue, but it could be from air bubbles forming in the fuel pump during a long cruise, then being sucked down after stopping and then accelerating. Here's a link to my thread on it TSB 06-9-9

I'm surrpised not more folks have had this issue, but then again, if you drive short hops around town and even at highways speeds, it might not ever happen to you. I drive long distances periodically, so this has come up a few times and now it is being fixed. I should know something tomorrow.
I wish that was it, but these were both after sitting in a parking lot for a while. When I get to thinking about it though, both times it has happened I punched it fairly hard to get out in front of traffic that was coming up, and the air conditioner was on full. It seems the car *should* be able to do that, but I still wonder if that maybe is what's causing it. I'm taking it by the dealer tomorrow, I'll be sure to post what I find out. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts! Thanks!

Brian
Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

I have an Idea tell them your factory supercharger fell off and you want a new one put on.......don't take no for an anwser

Quick Reply: Mustang dies starting out from stop sign