Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

something weird happened today

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:10 AM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: something weird happened today

That really is awful! [:'(]

I was so worried that my car might be driven when I took her in for paintwork.
Right before I dropped her off I took a pic of the mileage just in case
To my relief, only a tenth of a mile put on

I wouldn't go back there at all.
(I'm soo glad I change the oil myself)
Old 08-06-2006, 03:13 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

too funny... got to tell this story!!

on monday at the dealership, a customer came in to ask a question.. and we got a drive through pit.. well after he was done, he proceeded to drive through.. not knowing there was a huge hole in front of him.. drove right into the hole.. the car was teetering.. the driver was white as a ghost and freeking out!.. sooooooo funny.. like how dumb can you be.. you know people do oil changes in the MARKED section.. lol we just bluntly got in, and drove straight! lol with a bit of speed too lol.. soooo insnae
Old 08-06-2006, 04:12 AM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fitbikeco

that is just totally wrong i would never go back there
its really sad that you didnt do something when you were there
now there is nothing you can do but learn from this and change your oil yourself

Two questions that has always scared me about changing my own oil

1. What is the best for my engine
2. What happens if I tighten the oil filter too tight? My brother scared me and told me that if it is not on perfectly it will blow off.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

why dont you just ask about those questions on here, youll get a lot of good answers. for oil, i would recommend mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic motor oil, that stuff is good. i would try to get a synthetic oil over a regular oil. as for the oil filter being too tight, youll know when its good enough to stop. just get one of those cheap oil filter wreches from autozone for like 5 bucks. imo i would get ur dad or someone to help u out and do an oil change urself, instead of wasting money letting someone else do it.

just curious, why did you have to leave ur stang overnight for? an oil change takes, what, 10 minutes max?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

oil depends on your location cold winters andor warm all year i live in MI use 10w 30 syen works good all year though the cold cold winters
Old 08-06-2006, 10:29 AM
danno

v6stanggoddess-

We're supposed to use 5W-30 in our 2005/2006 V6 Mustangs year around, according to the manual.

I don't think most women need to worry about overtightening their oil filter - that's a Guy Thing.

-danno
Old 08-06-2006, 10:45 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I would call the manager and demand an explanation- explain that you were 'confused but now pissed' and want to know why someone was 'testdriving' after an oil change.

SUGGESTION FOR ALL: anytime dropping off your car ANYWHERE for service, put a neon post it note w/mileage right on the steering wheel- if 'they know - you know', they wont even think about it.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:57 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Two questions that has always scared me about changing my own oil

1. What is the best for my engine
2. What happens if I tighten the oil filter too tight? My brother scared me and told me that if it is not on perfectly it will blow off.
best oil- thats like politics as long as it meets manufacturers specs to protect your warranty, everything else is kinda subjective...Ive heard a lot of good things about the synthetics though...

filter too tight? no...biggest possible mistake would be if the old gasket sticks to the block- neighbor of a buddy had that happen just last week, we were working on his tractor, his neighbor came over asking for a wrench to tighten his leaking filter up- said' did you look at the old filter to see if the gasket was on it?' sure enough...made a big mess.

oil the gasket, spin it on till it contacts, tighten 3/4 turn...dont overtighten. I always try to prefill mine as far as I can to cut down on drystartup time, and always use decent jackstands before even thinking about going underneath...just 2 years ago a older guy in our model airplane club died changing his oil at home- they said no stands, and the jack failed...everyone knows better, but sometimes get in a hurry...
Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

I would deff. call them or go in and just tell them, they might be really nice and give you something free, like a coupon or soemthing and next time just stay and watch them like a hawk. (thats what i do) But dont jsut sit back and let them get away with it, atleast say something and see what they do!!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

That sucks... the place I go to get my oil changed is by a shell station and they do it while I sit in the car lol. I drive over a pit and they do everything there.

Quick Reply: something weird happened today