Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

AUX INPUT

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
2005v6stang

Default AUX INPUT

I know this has been asked a million times, but I have the Shaker 500 and just want a simple aux cable for my ipod, wht do I need to do. And I don't intend on buying a new head unit, and im sick of fm transmitters, I also don't want to end up spending over a 100 dollars, for a aux cable that costs 15 dollars to buy[:@], thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: AUX INPUT

You need an aftermarket adapter to gain an aux input. Try:

http://www.pie.net/

They seem to be the only game in town... or at least the most popular.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM
2005v6stang

[:-]
Old 08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

First if you are going to replace the head unit you should wait to get a new interface because each will be different. For the stock radio I ordered an interface for my XM radio from www.myradiostore.com. The part you're looking for is FRD04-AUX , it is a PIE product but I don't know if you can order it directly from them but it works through your AUX port. The place I ordered from adds a power connecter that turns the XM off and on with no need to plug into a power outlet. Just a FRD04-AUX should eliminate the fm transmitter, it cost between 60-80.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 PM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

I'm not certain if you can order direct from PIE either, but you should still take a look at their site. FRD04-AUX is the standard aux hookup, but since you're looking at connecting your iPod they also make a unit that allows you to plug in your iPod, charge, and output to the RDS feature of the radio I think. All depends on just how many features you want and how much you're willing to spend. You can probably find them on ebay for a little cheaper of course.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

This is probaly what I'm going to buy. I'm going to go with the AUX input so I don't
have to keep swapping out CD's (Base system) and hookup my iPod (Moto SLVR )
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

FYI ... I got an email from the manufacturer that the IPOD2CAR GEN 2 OEM with the latest Mustang Compatible Firmware began shipping on Monday - 08/07/06. It is a small box that mounts in the dash with a Cable that you connect to your iPod. It allows all the controls on your Factory Radio ... now including the Shaker 500/1000 ... to control your iPod. it also displays the track and song info on your Display just like MP3 discs. It also charges your iPod. If you buy one the vendor says to make sure you get Firmware revision 1.2.2 which is the Mustang Compatible version ...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

Is the IPOD2CAR GEN 2 OEM the same thing as this?

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=968

I was originally going to order this, then after waiting about a month I checked again and they stopped offering it for Mustangs, saying they were having compatability issues. Crutchfield told me that it wouldn't work, but then once checking out this page again, it showed that they were going to fix whatever issue there is.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Yes .. that is the one ... if you order one it must be marked Firmware 1.2.2 to be Mustang compatible. I'm gonna wait a few weeks to let the latest version get out to all the vendors before I order .... I'm gonn run the cable into my center console so I can keep the iPod hidden in there ...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Yes .. that is the one ... if you order one it must be marked Firmware 1.2.2 to be Mustang compatible. I'm gonna wait a few weeks to let the latest version get out to all the vendors before I order .... I'm gonn run the cable into my center console so I can keep the iPod hidden in there ...

That's exactly what I plan to do. In my last 2 cars I used the PIE Aux Input Adapter's for the stock radio in both those cars (99 Tahoe, 04 Mustang GT). They work great, but you have to keep your ipod out in the open so you can change songs and stuff. I can't wait until this new Peripheral Adapter is available again, I'd love to be able to hide my ipod (with broken clickwheel, lol) and just control everything from the stereo.

To the original poster, I'd recommend spending the money on an adapter, the sound quality is so much better. Either that or a permanent, in-dash mounted, wired FM transmitter.

Quick Reply: AUX INPUT