Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wife looking at '05--what to check??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:54 AM
Blooze

Default Wife looking at '05--what to check??

My wife is looking at an '05 Mustang coupe with AT and 11K miles on it (lowest price I could get is $15900). Basic interior, only power locks and windows, manual seats, tinted windows and the like--nothing "extra" that I can see. Her and I have both driven it briefly today and I didn't notice any real rattling issues or shifting issues other than a decent clunk when going from park into reverse. Seems to ride nice, accelerate good, and track well both on the interstate and in town.

What in specific should I be checking for with this car?

She has decided she really likes the Mustang (she's never had a car of her "own" before, always the family Explorer or whatnot). I just want to make sure that we're not getting into something that's less than reliable. This will be her daily driver to work and back.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:09 AM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wife looking at '05--what to check??

I haven't had mine long enough to speak on reliability but for just a little more you should be able to get into a new 06. Most dealers atleast around here a giving big dicounts to get rid of their 06's. In addition if you can go at the end of the month they are more willing to make a deal. Believe me that is not an old wives tale, if it's the end of the month and a salesman is just short of bonus he take less commission in order to make it. I know that doesn't answer your question but just wanted to give you something to thing about.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ive had 2 05 v6s and neve rhad any problem. but according to ratings and such the 05 has poor reliability where as 06 and 07 dont. but thats if you believe ratings. of course as with any redisgn of anything there is always a few bugs that get fixe din newer models. Personally i would wait 1-2 months and the dealers are gonna be itching to get rid of new 06s because the 07s are here
Old 08-19-2006, 02:36 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

It's a good all around car, I got my vert July of 05' did the C&L CAI and sct tuner... lsd rear. Haven't had any issues, I drive it a little hard for what it is and it loves it. "Very techie car" From the throttle by wire to the TCS it really protects itself from abuse. Theres some TSB's around here somewhere that could give you a list of minor problems that may be present... but it's nothing to worry about. Very solid car..she'll love it...stop making her wait by asking questions here and get out to the deaker and pick it up. It's most likely there cause someone upgraded to the more powerful GT. I put some goodyear 18" eagle f1's on and now get the same traction wet that I do dry.. Very safe and fun car... Can not recommend enough... The price is tough but a new 06 v6 coupe shouldn't be that much more. I would lean that way toward a 06' for a few grand more at best.... You can't go wrong.. just pcik a year 05', 06', 07'
Old 08-19-2006, 02:38 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

If you get an 07 you get that tire pressur eindicator thing too so if shes getting a flat shell know o_O ( i wish i had that)
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Not to mention on the 06 and i think 07 the warranty is better goes for 5yrs 60,000 miles i think not sure but its something like that so i'd go for an 06 if you can. And yes theyre right they definately will cut down on price since the 07 are coming in.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 AM
MUSTloveSTANG
1st Gear Member

I would also recomend at least checking out your options on getting a new '06. I ended up with a much better deal buying new then I could have gotten with a used. It's mostly just personal circumstances. If I wasn't so picky I coulda gotten an 06 for as low as $16,900 and that was a couple months ago. I am sure there are even better deals now! Ya never know, it could be worth a shot at least. ( Sorry I didn't really answer your question![&:])
Old 08-19-2006, 03:27 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya i didnt say anything about what to check for...About the clunk from park to reverse i have the same thing but they said it wasnt anything to worry about. Check for basic stuff power options actually work seats move no out of the ordinary noises and otherwise if you find problems take it in under warranty to get it fixed.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:37 AM
BlueAngel06V6
1st Gear Member

Really consider looking at an 06 because you will be able to get the price down. And the warranty on the 06 is 5 years/60,000 miles
Old 08-19-2006, 04:04 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

well after i thought about it i checked and the ones is aw are 6yr 75,000 miles powertrain stuff so its a real good deal for the 06 and pretty much the same price of the 05 -- 05 was the 1st production year and as alot of us 05ers can tell they definately had problems so going a year up might be better just for that sake

Quick Reply: Wife looking at '05--what to check??