Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:01 PM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

Default Throttle cutting out

Any of you folks have a problem with your throttle cutting out from accelerating from time to time? I've had it happen a few times to me and I'm taking the car into the dealership tomarrow to have it looked at.

It's only happened about half a dozen times since I got the car back in February, and it usually happens right after I come to a complete stop after sustained periods of driving, mostly stopping at the end of an exit ramp off the highway. I hit the throttle to turn onto the street and it'll go, completely cut out for a second, then go again, much like it wants to stall.

The lady at the local dealer's service dept. said she's never heard of anything like that before...

Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle cutting out

I haven't had any problems myself but have heard of it happening to a few people here. Apparently someone said their car died sometimes when it happened as well.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 AM
jay_t

First post, registered so I could comment on this

I have noticed the same problem. I have an 06 V6 auto, not even 3 months old yet. About a month ago, I drove 60-70 miles on the highway, got off at my exit, pulled to a complete stop at the stopsign, and it died. Scared the crap outta me, but it started back up OK and everything was fine. This past weekend, I did almost the same trip, but only 50 miles this time. At my exit, I stopped at the stop sign, and when i gave it some gas, it cut out for half a second, then it was fine. Same thing happened on my return trip home on Sunday when I got off at my exit... [:@]
Old 08-23-2006, 12:53 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

im pretty sure i saw a tsb for this. somin bout the fuel pump? but i thought it was for gt's only.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:54 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

As for dying there is a tsb. The cutting out while turning though is probably your tcs
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 AM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

As for dying there is a tsb. The cutting out while turning though is probably your tcs
No TCS (if you mean traction control) on this car...

Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

There is a TSB out for your problem... since the V6 and the GT use the same fuel pump it should apply to the V6 as well...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
LiquidLenny
1st Gear Member

Yeah... That's what it is- air bubbles/fuel pump.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

TSB 06-9-9

Someone here had posted a link directly to the full TSB. If anything, whether dealer service techs like or not, I would at least mention that the symptoms match a TSB (and use the number) you came across when trying to research the problem.

It is not easily replicated as it does not always occur every time those circumstances are met. But the TSB does not tell them to replicate it, it just tells them to run a diagnostic that eliminates all other possible causes outside the fuel pump. If the diagnostic eliminates all other causes, they are required to replace the fuel pump with the newer part listed on the TSB.

My dealership did however do a fuel pressure test (which I think can force air into any fuel pump actually) and it showed air was getting into the fuel pump. I think they ran it only to justify the expense since they could not replicate the symptoms otherwise.

Bottom line, in my case, they did replace the fuel pump according the TSB. I've only had the car fixed a couple of weeks or so now, but I have driven under those circumstances several times since and so far.... it seems fixed!

Yeah, I had the car die on me once (before the TSB fix) when the throttle cutout going into an intersection after a long cruise, but it was because the cut out kind of startled me and caused me to jerk my foot off the accelerator at that very instant... car quit... ouch.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 PM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

Well, got the car back from the dealership yesterday, verdict: No Problems Found.

Quick Reply: Throttle cutting out