Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gas tank problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

Default gas tank problems?

i just bought a V6 friday. ive been reading these boards for awhile now and everyone says the gas tank has problems. should i go to the dealership before it happens?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:06 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: gas tank problems?

If you are referring to the "hesitation on acceleration after long highway cruise" issue, the TSB for that states that "some" '05/'06 Mustangs may experience this. In my case, I experienced it several times (but not every time after a long cruise) and took it in and got the fuel pump replaced under the TSB (TSB 06-9-9).

Myself, I won't take a vehicle in based on a TSB unless in fact I am experiencing those symptoms. There may be nothing wrong at all with your fuel pump and a complete waste of time to go get something done about it. This is a known issue yes, but it is NOT a recall. A recall merits taking your car in for the fix... problems or not.

I'd wait until you actually experience the symptoms - hesitation on acceleration after a long highway cruise. But..... it is a symptom that could cause you to get rear-ended trying to cross an intersection. Still, I'd wait until it happens, but that is just me.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
bztz4m
2nd Gear Member

The problem with the gas tank was the tank not filling all the way. I did not have any issues for over a year then the problems started so I had the dealer replace the tank. After they replaced it the problems started again so I made sure to fill up at 1/2 tank but the last few months I have had no issues with the tank so go figure. I would wait until the problem shows itself before taking it to the dealer.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:00 PM
LiquidLenny
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bztz4m

The problem with the gas tank was the tank not filling all the way.
According to a few gas attendants I spoke with, this happens quite often with Mustangs. The only time I notice it is when I let the tank get down to empty. The gas pump nozzle will keep kicking off.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:20 AM
cportner

I just experienced that problem for the first time today. My tank was also on "E".
Old 08-31-2006, 10:37 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya i had that problem with my tank. Was basically empty, went to the pump and itd take maybe $8 dollars then start spraying gas out. Took it to the dealership the next morning. They had to put in a new gas tank but it was warranty so it wasnt a big deal...Only problem for me though they had my baby for almost half a day :/ took it in at 10am and didnt get to pick it up til 5pm
Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

when u say hesitation on acceleration do u mean like the transmission? bc i just got rid of a POS 95' saturn and it would hesitate when i would accelerate and give me a jump when i stepped on the gas.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:02 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I noticed my car wouldn't fill up if I had MORE than a quarter tank already in it. The pump would keep stopping and I'd have to turn it sideways or upside down. Upside down worked best because of the way the tanks were designed, the gas pump thinks it's already full. This is a recall issue and if you take it in, they will replace it at no cost. But they need you to have less than a quarter tank in it when you bring it in. I took mine in at about 9am and didn't get it back until 3:30 pm that same day. I had this fixed about 2 months ago and it started doing it again about a month ago anyways. My boyfriend's theory is that the nozzle connecting to the tank needs to be replaced, not just the gas tank...

Old 09-01-2006, 11:25 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya mine started to do it again after mine was replaced...But then i realized the patern of it, it only happened at one certain gas station i had been going to. Everywhere else i fill up is fine.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dior85

when u say hesitation on acceleration do u mean like the transmission? bc i just got rid of a POS 95' saturn and it would hesitate when i would accelerate and give me a jump when i stepped on the gas.
No... In this case, air builds up in the fuel pump on a long cruise. When you stop and then accelerate, the pocket of air gets sucked in and causes your engine to stall for a second.

Not sure if my original reply applied here, I thought "fuel pump" when I read "fuel tank" .

Quick Reply: gas tank problems?