Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why are foreign cars more reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why are foreign cars more reliable?

Well, Pearl Harbor, they started it and Hiroshima well, they started it!

I didn't know they were selling Jap cars cheaper in Japan because it didn't seem like it when I was there. It was actually cheaper. Most Japs I talked to love American cars and beer! So there you have it.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

"Japs" is a racist slur
Well my Japs friends were never offended by it... Really depends on how you say it and how you use it.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chuckcsf

Toyota had the most recalls last year and there was an article a few years ago saying that Ford quality as gone up to par with Japs cars

i think it was consumer report that did a reliability test with all the big brand car companies. They took an average of how many problems 100 of each of the companies cars had in 1 year, then 3 years, then 5 years or something like that. Lexus was best, followed by toyota, then acura, honda, mitsubishi, and then ford was actually pretty damn close to the top. Cadillac or mercedes was last.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:45 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Why should we get over 9/11 too????? Your comment Jim01028 is an ignroant statement and should be stricken from this board... it is almost trollish!
ORIGINAL: jim01028

ORIGINAL: Backlash

2 words.....Pearl Harbor
3 words: get over it

And to answer the question are they? It is car by car more than maker by maker isn't it?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:56 PM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

You know Japs themselves are not over the Hiroshima deal. When I was in Hiroshima, there are people in the plaza where the bomb hit trying to get people to sign a petition to get more money for US. Also during the bombing aniversary, don't be caught outside if you're an American. They hold huge anti American rallys around the bases.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:09 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

+1million^

Its funny how forgetful we can become in this country. The Japs still hold much hatred towards us and we fuel the fire by allowing them to buy our land and we buy their cars.
But he we are lazy Americans and American cars are really bad because they are built by Americans!!!! Aren't most foreign cars now built here????? I've read many ignorant claims on here and I'm here to tell you folks many of you comments are false! It is an American bias that we have learned over the years that American NAMED cars are unreliable and junk.... this is only perception.... many FORDS are built in Mexico now, so is it just the American name or the actual workers? GM had huge problems with the GEO line which was also made overseas....That too must have been American works right?
Now the Big 3 isn't perfect and have a long way to go but the American bashing has to stop, Magazines, newspapers and TV all get on the lets bash the American name brand which suck and is ANTI AMERICAN IMO…
[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Stormbringer
2nd Gear Member

"Japs" is a racist slur
I disagree. I merely consider it to be an abbreviation. Gook, *****, and Slope are racial slurs. (I use these here not because I believe in them but because Im trying to make a point.)
Old 08-29-2006, 07:59 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

Out here in northern california I see more BMW's on the side of the road than anything then comes mercedes...Realy strange. I used to live in Detroit, only things I saw on the road were there because the wheels got stolden off of them. Not because of engine failure. I guess you could say any car can be reliable it depends on the owner to take care of thier car. Japanese, German, French, British, American, Austrailian, Korean, Chinese, Norweigan "cant spell", Itallian, Russian, WHO CARES...if you like what you drive you drive it if everyone drove mustangs...We would have no one to beat
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM
mister ed
1st Gear Member

Yup, take care of your car and for the most part it, will take care of you. Anything mechanical, always has a chance of failing. And as far as Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Acura and others, remember they have a service department to. I don't see their mechanics standing around picking their butts and the lifts empty.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 PM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmays06
It is an American bias that we have learned over the years that American NAMED cars are unreliable and junk.... this is only perception.... many FORDS are built in Mexico now, so is it just the American name or the actual workers? GM had huge problems with the GEO line which was also made overseas....That too must have been American works right?
Now the Big 3 isn't perfect and have a long way to go but the American bashing has to stop, Magazines, newspapers and TV all get on the lets bash the American name brand which suck and is ANTI AMERICAN IMO…
[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
Yessss, I was going to post something similar to this earler. Give yourself some credit, guys. The "lazy American" is a stereotype that everyone in AMERICA buys into all the time. Don't any of you work hard at your jobs? Don't buy that sh**. Asians also happen to be generally portrayed as timid and studious in our culture (nut necessarily true, but this is people's perception), so we naturally assume they are smart, and have a much more sturdy work ethic than others.

Keep in mind, your Mustang's final assembly was in America, but many of the parts were made overseas, in several different countries. Are those people lazy? Or is it just American engineers designing these cars that are lazy? If so, keep in mind that America "imports" more students than any other nation (engineering being a major one), and many of those students stay to work in America. Have you been to a graduate enginnering school? How many of those people are immigrants? So who's lazy then?

I think people like to make generalizations in order to make sense of the world, and often see patterns where they don't really exist. Even if it involves putting themselves down.

Quick Reply: Why are foreign cars more reliable?