Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Even faster at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:11 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Even faster at the track

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: fazm

im pretty sure he said he owns it, i remember that a while back. said he owns lund racing, but they dont have an in house dyno, i think he uses some place else to do his dyno pulls.
Yea, he owns it, he is Lund Racing. Jon Lund. He posted this on another forum and on TMC.
Ok thanks I wasn't 100% sure Boss 244 you are the N.A King lean or not LOL

Hey Rygen I was on the front page of 2005 MF threads this morning and I look up and caught your name under "Even Faster at the track" link thought it was you I said **** I thought he wasn't running till this weekend so i click on the link thinking it was you LOL and I wasn't the only one 1Shortbus (Powerhouse Turbo ) was also in here must of thought it was you to. LOL
Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: TJ

Boss 244 you really need to see the AFR though the bung before the cats at WOT on a dyno it is the only way I would have it checked I wouldn't even consider the sniffer, I would just get it on a dyno and have the AFR checked its worth it to pay a little now (insurance peace of mind)instead of pay big time for a motor later. I myself am getting a dyno just to check on the AFR on Bama's race tune on the 24th for my own peace of mind.

The one thing that comes to mind if I remember correctly you said you have a ram air setup now of course from old research tells me only possibly 2-5 HP, but I wass thinking about yours depending on how it is setup could be going lean on top end forcing more air in. But I would only consider the possibilty of this if you had a closed box ram air setup. If its just ram air with no air box disregard this paragraph.

I myself think you are possibly running lean.
I think if he was running lean it would ping like an SOB... I know when we leaned mine out it pinged like crazy... sooooo... While I don't think he's running dangerously lean, it still wouldn't hurt to get in on a dyno with a wideband...

also... question regarding the ram air comment... even if it was a closed box it really shouldn't affect things as long as he doesn't peg the MAF... ???
I don't want to name people or companies but someone (couple monthjs ago) from another forum with a Tune from one of the know tuners and a popular CAI (Wasn't the TI CAI) had his AFR checked and guess what running 14-15 without any symptoms pinging from what I remember.

Ok first he is running a C&L (w/S&B filter smaller but still high flow) that requires a tune because of the increased amout of air that is now coming in , but on a tune that wasn't dynoed/tuned for the C&L, then add a ram air system if closed boxed forcing more air on top end again on the same tune mentioned above. Just thinking forcing more air in on top end in a closed air box similar to the Fang system (which I doubt he made similar or is running but not sure?) and a tune that wasn't setup for this amount of air plus along with the C&L CAI this could be a recipe for a lean condition .

Just thinking out loud no facts and if its open ram air system of course than the ram air part could be excluded from the above.

But the MAF not sure on the effects (w/closed air box ram air) and the C&L being 80mm and is larger than normal CAI's used on 4.0 which according to Doug is oversized for the 4.0 needs compared to the other CA. I not sure how this (your question) could effect the MAF being pegged (if even possible) would need to ask one of the tuners about this or if someone else could answer about this other to say a lean condition could still occur.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

What are some symptoms of running lean/rich? My chrome tip on my exhaust is really getting some carbon build up, figure that could be a sign of something.... like a symptom of driving. ..

Just curious.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: windveilpete

What are some symptoms of running lean/rich? My chrome tip on my exhaust is really getting some carbon build up, figure that could be a sign of something.... like a symptom of driving. ..

Just curious.
When running lean (running a CAI that requires a tune) might not have any symptoms ( sometimes a CEL) the only real way is to go and have it checked.

Running a much faster ET than normal per mild mods could be a symptom. LOL
Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Just curious.
When running lean (running a CAI that requires a tune) might not have any symptoms ( sometimes a CEL) the only real way is to go and have it checked.

could also read the spark plugs... ???
Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

hrmmmm should i change my plugs? lol
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

lots of sites... here's one I found quickly...

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html

Old 09-05-2006, 11:51 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Just curious.

could also read the spark plugs... ???
Yes good point I forgot. still would pefer to be checked on the dyno at WOT for an accurate AFR.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:00 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Scrming hmmm

I just pulled out my Hayes manual w/picures of plugs not showing lean.

Normal
Carbon Deposit
Oil fouled
Gap bridging
Too Hot
Preigniton
Glazing
Detonation
Mechanical damage

No lean?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:26 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

lots of sites... here's one I found quickly...

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html

Edited - skip the request below scrming I just found one (link) too confusing pictures 22-24 /to many pictures if you think its running lean I wouldn't rely on (per picture) the look of the plugs on a lean condition I would just take it in and get it checked.

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Scrming could you post a picture of a lean plug you might have handy from one of your web sites.

Quick Reply: Even faster at the track