Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much more powerfull are GTs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much more powerfull are GTs

Interesting because I kinda felt that the V6 Pony Package actually handled better than the GT?
I did a couple of quick clover leaf get on and offs as well as a mildly twisty road during my roadtest (salesman left at the dealership thank God) and the v6 felt more nimble to me?
I'm big on handling and less on power if that matters any...

It might be all in my head for all I know and the numbers may kill my impressions, but that's how I call it.
To ME the GT felt nose heavy and tended to plow a wee bit.
The V6 felt more nimble...
The rear end kicked way out making a real fast right turn onto a backroad (sandy at the intersection) and the V6 seemed to recover much better.
Both cars BTW.
I was afraid to try it with the 2004
I did this on purpose BTW.
Nailed the gas going into the turn.
All rural, smooth as glass roads as well, but like I said a bit of sand at the intersection no doubt due to all the rain we have had here.

Totally subjective and my opinion only!!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

OK, so I bought an 05 V6 back when the verts first hit the streets. At the time the GTs were going for 3k or more over sticker and were tough to find. I drove GTs and V6s and convinced myself that the V6 had plenty of power. I personally posted statements on these forums that there wasn't much difference between the V6 and GT performance-wise based on my test drives. Well, I am here to say that I was wrong, and every one of you that thinks the same thing is also wrong. There is a HUGE difference in performance (stock for stock). The GT pulls MUCH harder and it does so throughout the entire rev range. I'm not saying the V6 is slow, I was impressed with the performance of my sixxer. I am just saying the GT is all that and MUCH more Plus the GT handles miles better and sound a lot better too. There's no denying that the V6 is a great setup, but to believe a stock or lightly modded V6 is close to GT levels of performance is to live in denial A test drive isn't a good basis for comparison.
i agree with you that the gt is far faster straight line, that is undeniable and i dont know how alot of you don't feel it! The thing with handling though....the v6 pony package supposedly handles better than the gt. a couple mags have said this in reviews and my car does seem to handle very well lol.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

My VERY LIMITED opinion is that no doubt the GT is better in the straight line, and does offer more "fun factor" in this type of situtation.
No questions asked at all.
However, on a twisty, windy mountain road and with regular driving/crazy passing/handling etc/ the V6 is right up there and IMHO a wee bit better in the twisty turns.

If Ford could figure out how to make a V6 SOUND like a GT, they would make a fortune
Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

well stock to stock the gt auto is 5.1 (realistically 5.5) and the v6 manual is 6.7 (realistically 7.0) in the 0-60 race, so there is a pretty good difference there
Actually we are probably a bit slower in convertible form (160lb) so possibly 6.6sec hardtop (manual) and 6.8sec for convertible but here is the kicker. I purchased my convertible for 23.5K(new) with ABS, interior upgrade. Comparible GT was selling for 30.5K.
I spent additional $1200 for CAI, Xcal (91tune), magnaflow, Royal purple oil in crancase and transmission. I also added GT rims(takeoff), hellwing rear sway bar, front Gt bar, strut bar. I probably added 30rwh to my car and probably am running 0-60 in 6 - 6.2 sec and handle a s good as GT. Also I am averaging 30mpg while cruising at 70.

So to summarize.
25K got me a fast and economical ride that can outrun a lot of older stock Gt's. I get good fuel economy on long trips. Saved 5-6K. Saving $500-600 a year on insurance and around the same amount on fuel.

Invest the money you save by not purchasing a GT ($6000)in average Mutual fund at 10% add $1200 a year that you save from Insurance/fuel. After 5 years you should accumulate around $17000 or enough to purchase a newer Mustang :-)

Old 09-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatstang

Invest the money you save by not purchasing a GT ($6000)in average Mutual fund at 10% add $1200 a year that you save from Insurance/fuel. After 5 years you should accumulate around $17000 or enough to purchase a newer Mustang :-)
The days of 10% returns are long behind us. Maybe they'll come back some day, but you might as well spend the money on something you'll enjoy in the meantime The insurance is an extra 10 bucks a month for me on a GT versus V6. Gas mileage is 33.0 mpg versus 34.5 on the V6, so there isn't a big windfall cost savings hidden there. The cost difference between my loaded V6 and loaded GT was 4k. Of course that doesn't include the butt-whipping I took on the V6's depreciation. [>:]

As for the comparisons between the Pony Package and GT, I've never driven a PP car so I don't know. My sixxer was an 05, the PP wasn't out back then or I probably would have gotten it. Mine handled just fine, but definitely didn't hold a candle to the GT.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:42 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

10% returns? I haven't had returns that low since 2001. If you can't make money in this market, you just are not trying real hard.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Most people will notice the handling differences between the 05 V6 and GT. The pony package was not available in 05. But the difference is the sway bars. Both cars have the same UCA, LCA's, crappy panhard bar and brace, shocks and the stock springs are nothing to write home about. I've sat shotgun in a pony package (excepcion13's car when it was only bolt ons), and he could jerk that car around and make you lose your lunch while hugging the road!!!

But get the GT if you can swing it. It was not in the cards for a lot of us when they first came out for various reasons. Now that they have been out a bit, they are more affordable and as you can see, better financing options.

I personally will be keeping my six though. But will be adding a Boss to the stable once they come out.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:49 AM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Well, I do have to agree there. If you can afford it, get the GT. Especially if you are sitting the fence, because otherwise, you will always wonder "what if?"... trust me.
And I'm sure there is a lot more to discover about the GT than what that 20 minute test drive showed me.
But in my case, personally, there just wasn't enough difference for me to be willing to take a $7000 loss on a bad *ss car in it's own right, that I just bought 6 months ago.

As far as that "GT stigma" someone mentioned earlier... yeah, that does get old. If I had a dollar for every time someone had something to say about my car being a V6, I could afford to go buy a GT! LOL!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

Well i just got a 06 GT last friday. We have had my wife's 06 Pony Pkg for 2 1/2 months now. We have Ford racing muffler, CAI and 93 tune in hers. It moves really good. But my new GT is way faster. Like 20+mph faster at the end of hwy ramp. Handling they are very close. Hard to tell any change between the two. Mine does ride a little harder. But then again so did hers untill we got few miles on it. Mpg is very close hwy like with in 1 mpg. But mine only has 400 miles on it and hers has 5,000 miles now. In city hers is better by 3 or 4 mpg. Then again when mine gets more miles on it. It should improve some, like hers did. 3,000 miles seems to be the break in period for the motors. We are very happy with both cars.