Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

is a muffler ricey??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: is a muffler ricey??

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: Dior85

i herd getting a muffler may or may not help gas mileage. i was considering getting one if it does help but is it to ricer??
Putting a good aftermarket muffler is a great mod for our V6's... Free up about 10RWHP... a bit more if you go with the MRT... now of course when I say "good" I mean NOT A FART CAN! LOL! As far as gas mileage in theory it should improve... but the fact is the new exhaust sounds tends to make your right foot heavier... which does decrease your milage! LOL!
you're not serious are you? You're telling me that adding a muffler (not even a catback system) by itself will add 12-13 flywheel horsepower? Do you have Dyno Slips?? And I mean both with a Baseline (stock) car and then with just the muffler added (as in no other mods, no CAI or anything else)?

I can understand a muffler adding 10rwhp if there are other mods but just a muffler on a stock car...?

Add: Okay I read your website, you are definitely NOT STOCK..so 10rwhp is not out of line. But for a stock car you MAY get like 3-4 RWHP for just a muffler..not 10.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

They are only Ricey if they are "Fart Cans". Flowmasters or similar are fine.
Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Dior85

i herd getting a muffler may or may not help gas mileage. i was considering getting one if it does help but is it to ricer??
Putting a good aftermarket muffler is a great mod for our V6's... Free up about 10RWHP... a bit more if you go with the MRT... now of course when I say "good" I mean NOT A FART CAN! LOL! As far as gas mileage in theory it should improve... but the fact is the new exhaust sounds tends to make your right foot heavier... which does decrease your milage! LOL!
you're not serious are you? You're telling me that adding a muffler (not even a catback system) by itself will add 12-13 flywheel horsepower? Do you have Dyno Slips?? And I mean both with a Baseline (stock) car and then with just the muffler added (as in no other mods, no CAI or anything else)?

I can understand a muffler adding 10rwhp if there are other mods but just a muffler on a stock car...?

Add: Okay I read your website, you are definitely NOT STOCK..so 10rwhp is not out of line. But for a stock car you MAY get like 3-4 RWHP for just a muffler..not 10.
if im not mistaken his car was almost stock if not completely stock when he did that dyno.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm too busy at work to go back and look but If so then he probably did a TUNE and Muffler. 10RWHP for just a muffler...maybe on a vette or Mustang GT (since there are two mufflers on there) Not a V6 tho.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

actually the muffler is the most restrictive part of our exhaust and you will only gain 2-3 hp by going duals. Beleive me there has been ALOT of discussion on this.

plus the mrt is completely straight thru. You can look right thru it.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

No not ricey at all..... Just go with any one of the aftermarket brands out there and you should be alright. There is many that make them for our car. IMO if I had to do it over again ( I went with the JBA) I'd get ford racing or flowmaster.....JMO though.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

it's all in preference. If you like the stock sound, don't spend the money. There are other mods that will give you more power per dollar. If you want ALOT louder, go mrt. If you want slightly louder, id say magnaflow. I think jba is a bit louder than magnaflow, and same with the borla/ford racing. Whatever you get, i think you will be happy with the results.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:40 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

I'm too busy at work to go back and look but If so then he probably did a TUNE and Muffler. 10RWHP for just a muffler...maybe on a vette or Mustang GT (since there are two mufflers on there) Not a V6 tho.
Ok... you have every right to be skeptical! Believe me I was too... So... I will try to offer you some solid proof...

Justin at VMP tuning in Florida did some dyno testing on his wife's car. He showed and 11RWHP gain simply by removing the muffler! He put on a GT take-off muffler and it went from 11RWHP gain to a 10RWHP. So that goes to show just how restrictive the V6 muffler is! Now I had a Magnaflow single axleback... We never dyno'd it seperately BUT we figured it was good for about 10RWHP, which just so happens to be what Justin found with a GT take off! So again the stock muffler suck.... good aftermarket or even GT take off is good for 10RWHP... I know it's hard to believe... so here is a link to Justin's write-up:

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551

Now the thing about Justin's right up is it also included a CAI which might have helped...

Now here's another example that is more to what you are asking. Check out Lidio from Alternative Auto's write on on the V6. This was a completely STOCK V6 automatic... Unfortunately he didn't publish dyno sheet for it but here's what he says:

"Although it’s not shown here on a dyno graph we also tested a better cat-back exhaust system for the V-6 Mustang and found an unbelievable 10 horsepower at the rear wheels from about 4000 rpm up. The exhaust system with our tune ended up producing 190 RWHP. I must say that at 190 RWHP coupled to the new 5-speed automatic, this new V-6 Mustang feels very impressive all around." (http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...tang_tune.html)

Even Lidio was surprised at the 10RWHP gain! So there you have 2 very well respected shops saying they seen 10RWHP with with a new muffler! And like I said while we never did an actually test on my Magnaflow we figured it added about 10RWHP....

Now... enter the MRT Aero-Turbine. When we put it on I could not believe the difference in performance it made! I was so impressed I paid for dyno time at Alternative Auto to verify that my butt dyno wasn't out of whack! Now we did not have the luxury of back to back testing... however we did our best to do as fair of a comparison as possible! We made a number of pulls with the MRT and compared them to a number of pulls we had with the Magnaflow.... Again, I understand it is not scientific... BUT in my mind it was a very fair comparison... The MRT beat the Magnaflow hands down! The impressive part is at just over 5500 RPM... notice how the Magaflow's HP drops while the MRT Aero-Turbine doesn't drop as fast! That is the science behind the Aero-Turbine.. LOL! Here' the MRT vs Magnaflow:

Trust me... I thought the Aero-Turbine mumbo-jumbo sound too good to be true... I was a big time skeptic... but after the first couple of romps on the gas pedal I was a believer! LOL!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

BTW... stopped to pick up my step-daughters proofs from the photo studio... noticed the photographer was outside... went in side to pick up the proof.. he comes in and says "That car is absolutely beautiful! And the sound! I heard you pulling in... that sound was incredible! It didn't sound like a car... it was awesome!" Not quite sure what he meant by it not sounding like a car... but he was sooooo geeked about it I just let him go on! LOL!
Hey!!
Been following your mods for a while, including MM article!

One question about the MRT, how is it cruising as far as interior noise and more importantly (to me anyway) drone is concerned?

I once made the big mistake of removing the resonator on my Caprice Chevy small block ( in the rear) and the drone was horrid so I was cured of that little trick[:@]

So how is the MRT for just plain around town and crusing?

FWIW I am less undecided and I think the V6 2007 Pony/IUP is in my future.
No 2006 left around here except in sliver and I don't like that color (no offense to anyone because I DO like green[8D] )

I'm looking at maybe the Ford Racing/MRT/Flowmaster, keeping it single exhaust, an Xcal and CAI and that's about it for me.
I also need an automatic for my better half to be able to drive it.

Advice?

Well...... yes, some people can't stand the MRT at cruising speeds.... some think it's ok... some turn up the stereo... LOL! As for me with my 4.10's my cruising RPMS are a tad bit higher than most so i don't have the drone... Personally I love the sound of the MRT! If you get the MRT and decide it is to much you can add a resonator... I heard one for the first time last week... I think it would solve any issue you have with drone...

For automatics.... you might want to consider Alternative Auto (www.alternativeauto.com) for an x-cal2/C&L cai combo...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:23 AM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

getting a muffler will not do anything to your gas milage. i have a muffler and an intake, my gas is only for the better when i drive ok. go get a flowmaster or something, they make a bolt on no welding or fabrication needed.

Quick Reply: is a muffler ricey??