Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Powerhouse Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:55 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Powerhouse Turbo

to solve your wastegate issue.. use a turbo with an internal wastegate.. problem solved
Old 10-03-2006, 05:46 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: S2K1

i was considering the sts universal kit with custom fabbed piping, but everyone advised against it.
That's because no one has ever seen there turbo kits in person before and are using the powers of the internet to judge. They aren't the best turbo systems, but they are good setups!

i am just very worried about reliability in bad weather. I won't be driving in deep snow, but i will be driving in light snow and rain, possibly heavy rain. the whole turbo being so close to the ground and the intake (even with the snorkle) being in a spot water can get to easily scares me. I also am worried about having a 600 turbo 8 inches off the ground where it can be easily hit by a stone shot out from under my tires and such. i care more about reliability than anything when going f/i. if the sts kit is for sure reliable i'd definately do it, i'm trying to work out something with an exhaust shop so i can put the turbo in a different spot than it is on the gt kit maybe so it is safer.
They gained popularity putting their kits of off-roading Tacomas. They go through streams, puddles, mud, etc. They are higher off the ground, but they are putting the water even closer. And considering it is a local company here in Utah where we get plenty of snow, heavy rain, etc. They wouldn't design it to suck all that up.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dats1NiceMustang

Rygen what size is your turbo? I'm going to build my own rear mount turbo system so I need to know if you don't mind thanks
build your own as in sts universal kit or total custom build? i was considering the sts universal kit with custom fabbed piping, but everyone advised against it.
me and 2 of my friends are gonna throw that STS on my car im pretty sure....got the resources. It's the cheapest and what looks like the most bang for the buck
Old 10-03-2006, 08:03 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

yea i went under my car last night, took off my muffler and measured out how low the turbo would be and it really has alot more clearance than i thought. the back end of our cars are actually very high for a coupe. higher than my dads ls430 and my moms b9 tribeca (suv!) so i am not that worried about the turbo submerging in a puddle now. i was also considering if i went sts putting on some mud flaps or whatever they are called behind the rear wheels so water and mud wont be shot up at the turbo. I am now really considering a custom sts kit with a snorkel... i am going to build a sheild around the back of it so it looks like a muffler if i do it lol. i think a non intercooled universal kit with custom pipin/tune would be great bang for the buck and it would be very unique. plus that sound is just awesome imo. gah i keep going back and forth!

edit: wow not worried about water, or turbo cracking from big temp drop when being partly submerged anymore! http://ststurbo.com/tacoma_sound_and_video

whole damn turbo is submerged!

im goin sts baby!

Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

8cd03gro i just some outstanding stuff from sts would you like to check it out its everything you need man
Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i just talked to sts actually and i think what im going to do is get the gt single kit with a smaller turbo. everything bolts right up (except for pipe that attaches to tb). then id get a dyno tune for 5-6 psi. All in all it'd only be costing me around 4600 including install...that is just awesome imo.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:33 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dats1NiceMustang

8cd03gro i just some outstanding stuff from sts would you like to check it out its everything you need man
definately!
Old 10-04-2006, 02:15 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

why only 5-6 psi
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

why only 5-6 psi

well i dont want to run any more than that without intercooling, just to be safe. should yeild around 260-70rwhp tho and more torque, which is fine with me at least for a while. the great thing about this system is i can go from around 260ish at the wheels 5 psi not intercooled to 8-9 psi intercooled making 320rwhp. i can isntall the intercooler myself later on which is great. only thing im worried about is tuning it. since it would be the gt system bolting up to the v6 with a smaller turbo and a few intake piping modifications, i obviously cant use the gt tuning, so i'm either going to have to have whoever tunes it, install it, or tow it to whoever is going to tune it after install. i've priced everything out, throwing on a little extra even for some extra little charges and i can get this system at 5 psi, all the safety options from sts (snorkle, bov, ebc, etc.) dyno tuned, and install for 4800 bucks. that sounds awesome to me.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Just pm with your email addy and i will send it to you its everything you need pictures included but you need adobe to read it

Quick Reply: Powerhouse Turbo