Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Terminology

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:31 AM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Terminology

So what IS considered a muscle car?
Camaro is considered a Pony car, is it not?
So would a Chevelle, Charger or Nova with a 350 or larger be considered a muscle car?
Im just curious as to what is, and what isnt.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 PM
robc@pdpf.com
1st Gear Member

A "true" muscle car?......didn't they have naturaly asperated carbs?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: SparkYZ

So what IS considered a muscle car?
Camaro is considered a Pony car, is it not?
So would a Chevelle, Charger or Nova with a 350 or larger be considered a muscle car?
Im just curious as to what is, and what isnt.
You'd probably get as many different answers to that as you would to "What is rice?" [&o]
Old 10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
BLackie
2nd Gear Member

In the grand scheme of things, 99% of all Mustangs are NOT Muscle Cars. Sure, there were big-block motors stuffed into a few different bare-bone Mustangs (427, 428CJ, 429CJ), but the correct term for describing a Mustang is Pony Car, not Muscle Car. It bugs me that most people (including Mustang owners) say that Stangs are Muscle Cars, when they really don't fit the definition of a Muscle Car. The new S197 Mustangs are too luxurious to be considered a Muscle Car. Call it a PONY CAR folks!

Flame suit on, let the arguing commence...

dummest conclusion ever......
Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: BLackie

In the grand scheme of things, 99% of all Mustangs are NOT Muscle Cars. Sure, there were big-block motors stuffed into a few different bare-bone Mustangs (427, 428CJ, 429CJ), but the correct term for describing a Mustang is Pony Car, not Muscle Car. It bugs me that most people (including Mustang owners) say that Stangs are Muscle Cars, when they really don't fit the definition of a Muscle Car. The new S197 Mustangs are too luxurious to be considered a Muscle Car. Call it a PONY CAR folks!

Flame suit on, let the arguing commence...

dummest conclusion ever......
Sorry, but I was using the following definition taken from the Muscle Car Club website:

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO
Now people (experts and laymen) have applied/expanded the term "Muscle Car" to include other cars that don't fit the original strict definition, to the point where most people use the term incorrectly and the new meaning becomes adopted by the masses. As such, the term has been shifted away from the original definition (which IMO is the only correct meaning).

So if you're talking about the S197's, you may argue that the GT's are Muscle Cars using the broader definition. But that's quite subjective. Without arguement, the GT500's fit the expanded definition of Muscle Car. The proposed 2008 Bullitt will also most likely be considered by everyone to be a Muscle Car.

You missed my main point - All Mustangs are Pony Cars, but most are not Muscle Cars.

EDIT: My secondary point is that the term Muscle Car no longer has a constant definition. The term is ever-changing based upon the opinion of each person. As such, it is slowly losing it meaning and significance.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Actually the first true muscle car was a 1964 pontiac gto made by John Zachary DeLorean and any car can be a muscle car just depends on what work you do to it.............. I have seen Ford Pinto's that run low 5's in a 1/8 now that is a muscle car, but I have seen Hemi Cuda's that have never left the show room but being it just has a hemi make it a muscle car? its all in how you look at it
Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

the original chrysler 300 should be called the first muscle car, the gto was marketed as such. My v6 is quicker than a bunch of 'muscle cars' on the lists of what cars ran in the old days. My 1973 mach 1 is called a muscle car by everybody that sees it. They don't realize it came with a 351 2bbl, single exhaust, and a 2:73 gear, and no temp, oil, coolant gauges. it barely made it into the 14's stock....but it is a big thundering mean *** looking car from days gone by. And a lot quicker now.....I would say any of the folks who come to this forum that get their cars into the 13's have a muscle car....stationwagen or pick up. Now if we are only talking about the 'looks", the gt is a muscle car, my v6 gets called a muscle car from folks my age (45) cause of the way it looks, there are some pretty slow muscle cars that look the part. we could debate this forever, but take this example, a 1970 duster is not, a 1970 340 duster is. Because of the larger motor and graphics not much on comforts, the TA started as one, then turned into a 'personal GT"..... anyways, rant on!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/41550/939F386C6BA34812B7A592E1025120CE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
TheSonicStang

Well, to the best of my knowledge, the term "Muscle Car" is generic for a performance car with a V8, 2-doors and rear-wheel drive. The GT is a "Muscle Car" The V6 Mustang is a "Pony Car". I think that the term "Pony Car" is only used for the V6 Mustangs. Not Camaros or Chevelles or any others....
Old 10-06-2006, 04:48 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

I consider a muscle car like a muscle man, good at lifting a lot of weight, and not much else. A small/medium sized car with the biggest motor possible. Good at going down the drag strip really fast, and that's about it.

I don't consider a Ferrari a muscle car, because it handles too well.

Also, I'd always thought of camaros and trans-ams as pony cars as well, they were introduced to compete with the mustang.

Take a mustang or camaro and drop an enormous engine in it for the strip, now it's a muscle car.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys, I realize this is futile, but what the heck...

I'm old enough to have been there when the muscle car thing started, and I'll agree with 28hopup and his muscle car site definition. The muscle car thing started roughly with the introduction of the 64 GTO. The pony car class started with the 64 Mustang. There are similarities and they got closer towards the end of the 60's, but the muscle cars were things like Roadrunners, GTO's, 442's etc. The pony car market consisted of the Mustangs, Camaros, post 69 Barracuda and challenger. The 69 and earlier Barracudas really didn't fit into the pony car market but I guess would or could be considered pony cars. What really made the difference was the size of the chassis.

Now nothing is static and definitions change. We are currently experiencing the second muscle car revolution. The difference is the muscle cars are not just American iron anymore, but include cars from Japan and Germany. While classically I agree with 28hopup, these are different times with different terminology. I mean the first time I saw someone talking about FI, I though fuel injection. Times change...

Quick Reply: Mustang Terminology