Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Autobahn Fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default Autobahn Fun

Back from 11 fun days in Germany.... I hit 132 mph on the autobahn with my rented Merceded C220 Diesel.... going down a long 2 mile grade.... the roads there are fantastic. 90 mph feels like you are parked. NO bumps, no expansion strips, no potholes. MUCH BETTER drivers there, they stay out of the left lane if they are not passing, and they pull over if a faster car comes up.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Autobahn Fun

Too bad American (and American visitor) drivers aren't quite as considerate or skilled. Drivers here have a "**** everybody else the road is MINE" mentality. Sharing doesn't seem to be in many people's vocabulary.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: LX200

Back from 11 fun days in Germany.... I hit 132 mph on the autobahn with my rented Merceded C220 Diesel.... going down a long 2 mile grade.... the roads there are fantastic. 90 mph feels like you are parked. NO bumps, no expansion strips, no potholes. MUCH BETTER drivers there, they stay out of the left lane if they are not passing, and they pull over if a faster car comes up.

Glad to hear that you made it back safely. I was concerned that they may stop you at US Customs - they rarely let undesirables back into the country! [8D]
Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

In America the only traffic law that is enforced is speeding, and running red lights, because both are cash cows. It's about income, not safety.

Nobody gives a crap about weaving, tailgating, lane changing without signals, blocking the passing lane, driving a rickety unsafe piece of crap, doing dumb *** crap like attaching hood scoops and spoilers with sticky tape so they can fly off and hit another car.

Plus we bonehead up the whole fast/slow lane thing by having people merging and unmerging on the left sometimes.

Also, the autobahn's roadbed is 2 or 3 times as thick as the interstates over here, and are better maintained. In our defense, though, we have a whole lot bigger country with a whole lot more roads to maintain.

I've also heard that when a german is ticketed, the fine is relative to his income, so a rich guy might get a 10,000 fine while a poor guy gets 100. So you don't have rich folk who feel they can blow off that fix-it ticket or moving violation. It's also a lot harder to get a license, because you have to actually know how to drive. It's not just "parallel park, know how to activate turn signals, here's your ticket"

I get irked everytime somebody waves me in, when they have right of way. They think they're being polite, but they're being stupid and dangerous.

But I'm a transplanted canadian, when I learned to drive it was a lot more rigorous, and there was a good focus on controlling skids and driving in inclement weather. Every time theres a snowfall in maryland, sure enough there's a 50+ car pile up on one of the local highways. Apparently, people are too stupid to understand that snow and water are slippery, and they should slow down and back off. Nope, 2' off the car in fronts bumper thats all the space you need to stop on ice, right?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

I go to Germany every year to visit freinds/family. The Autobahn is great fun, no speed limits away from towns.
AND YES people know how to drive. They pull over and are courteous and let you go by. Very few accidents there.
Here in California (SF bay area) you have dumb *** Mexicans driving 45-55 IN THE FAST LANE. Oblivious. They could care less. I leave for work early and I'm always having to go around them. Half of them don't have liscenses either. Can't wait to move out of this dump.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thomas Ford

Here in California (SF bay area) you have dumb *** Mexicans driving 45-55 IN THE FAST LANE. Oblivious.
LOL they don't want to get pulled over and deported. Erks me if I think about it too hard.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:35 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Whats worse is the jerkoffs in their 86 BMW's who think they are fast and can cut in front of you and gun it and accelerate fast enough to flow with traffic...
You think you've got it bad in the SF Bay area? Dude! Try the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles...It's worse down here...I think you'd commit murder, god knows If i had a weapon, I would have!
Some people cant drive!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

SparkYZ +1 !!! Yup. I drove down to San Diego last month. Bad down there too for sure. I got 2 years to go on my job and I'm retiring to another state.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28hopup
Glad to hear that you made it back safely. I was concerned that they may stop you at US Customs - they rarely let undesirables back into the country! [8D]
My ability to reenter just shows the dept. of Homeland Security has a ways to go yet.....
Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 AM
torchred05V6mustang
1st Gear Member

thats awsome, i would love to top the stang haha

Quick Reply: Autobahn Fun