Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Gauges in V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Gauges in V6

i just sent you a pm...it actually wont work. something to do with everything is actually stored int he cluster itself and when you reload it onto the new cluster it will mess everything up.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 AM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

it's not getting it to 140, but getting it over 120 lol. It just sucks I can't use it!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Why is it pointless? If the driveshaft is good, high enough rated tires and make sure everything else can hold up wont the engine go to 140? thats what someone posted
Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

need tuner
Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 AM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

what do you mean? It works with a tuner??
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 AM
MarioP3_XR4Ti
1st Gear Member

Well why wouldn't you want to get a speedo that reads as high as possible? My Merkur's all come with a 150 MPH speedo, and the best they can do is about 140 IF they're in excellent shape, and you are willing to run it up to the rev limiter - stock. Of course, modified they'll do more. But really it's pointless on the *street, and who really looks at the speedo on the track?

*Pointless in that who'd really dare to drive like that on the street?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

I've wondered about swapping the V6 120 MPH speedo for the GT 140 unit. Running 87 octane with the tune VMP Tuning provided for 87 octane gas I easily exceeded 120 with my convertible. On the dyno my spouses coupe hit 141 MPH, of course this was with no wind resistance, but this was running the stock tune with only the speed limiter removed and the shift points modified for the dyno run.

I'd be interested in a definitive answer as to whether or not this swap is possible.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:14 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

im sure there would be way to do it . even if you reflashed the car from a gt using the WDS or recalibrating off your tuner. because the spedo would be of on the MPH. sorry but sounds like another kid wanting more speed . please isnt 120 fast enough. im supercharged had it to 100 at the track i happy with that. the stock tires wont handel the speed the drivshaft wont handel the speed ( trust me on that one first hand experiance. ) what is it with all you kids wanting to go so darn fars. who the heck are you trying to kill anyway. crap! unless your a profesional driver you have no right driving that fast DRIVING IS A PRIVILAGE! remember that! now back to our regular schedualed programing.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

I'm not driving that fast on the street. The fastest I ever drive is 3 over the speed limit on public roads. I live on 70 acres and have my own private track. I had already read what you did to your driveshaft and was planning on upgrading that as well. The tires won't be a problem as I'm getting ready to order my Shelby Wheels and I decided to go with Toyo Tires.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
MarioP3_XR4Ti
1st Gear Member

I just went to the same link as posted here and asked them what is required to do this, here is what they replied:

"it is a simple transaction, I get a little info from you and then order a cluster and a message center then you take to local dealership they hook up car to a computer and download the "as built info" for the 6 gauge cluster and thats it. You return core, and you are one happy camper. Here are the links for the parts needed, i will need mileage also."

Here are the parts he listed:

MSRP YOUR PRICE CORE PRICE TOTAL
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER $286.89 $223.77 $300.00 $523.77
SW ASY-MSG CTR $48.57 $34.97 $0.00 $34.97

So, it can be done, but you're gong to have to go to the dealer and spend a bit more than just buying the cluster and paying the core. I sent a reply asking for what their shop would charge for the computer download. No answer to that yet.

Update: Reply to question as to wiring and cost of reprogramming:

Service charges $100 to reprogram cluster. All mustangs built after 2/05(I think) have the wire on main loom to plug into message center, I have only seen one mustang that didn't have the wire, that one was a early built 05. you can always look behind dash where message center goes and look to see if wire is there. I'm sure it is though.

Quick Reply: GT Gauges in V6