Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Ruc22

Default V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my new V6 standard without traction control and have yet to drive it in the rain. I read a review about the V6 without traction control and the reviewer basically made it out that the car is a death trap in the rain and you would be crazy to drive it in the rain without traction control. I find this a little hard to believe so I wanted to get feedback from the non traction control crowd out there if there is anything I need to be aware of. I'm a pretty conserative driver so I'm not anticipating any problems but it never hurts to be sure.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 AM
bulldawg

Default RE: V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

Well i have an auto and i always turn mine off i hate the damn trac control. Just gotta watch the hard acceleration when wet. otherwise no problems.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:57 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ive spun out a few times in the rain. But when i spin ou ti like the tracion control to be off because if its on you lose power and cant try to steer your way out of it o_O
Old 10-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruc22

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my new V6 standard without traction control and have yet to drive it in the rain. I read a review about the V6 without traction control and the reviewer basically made it out that the car is a death trap in the rain and you would be crazy to drive it in the rain without traction control. I find this a little hard to believe so I wanted to get feedback from the non traction control crowd out there if there is anything I need to be aware of. I'm a pretty conserative driver so I'm not anticipating any problems but it never hurts to be sure.

Thanks!
Just be aware of the fact that you don't have it....don't pin it around corners or at stop lights, just don't do anything that could break traction. The car slides pretty well and is fairly predictable so even if its not too bad. If you start spinning around a corner and you let off its very quick to straighten itself up too.
-Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Ruc22

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
What brand of tires does your new Stang have? If they are the 16" BFG's, then traction in the rain will not be as good as you would have if your car has the Pony Package with 17" Pireilli's. Some folks don't like the Pirelli P-Zero Neros in the rain, but they ARE better than the BFG's. Just use your head when the roads get slick.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Just use your head when the roads get slick.
Also, when there is no traction control in the snow and the roads are slick, then yes the car is pretty close to a deathtrap. I lived out in central Oregon for the past year and had my stang there for the winter....
Old 10-31-2006, 01:07 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

or another idea if you get dunlops for the street like me you can have a roller coaster everytime it rains o_O
Old 10-31-2006, 01:14 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I don't have TC and I just installed T-Lock and 410 gears; I won't be driving i the rain!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

i really hate to be a dick here, but mustangs cannot be called a death trap in the context of being hard to control. the car is like putty in my hands under hard driving, and in the rain, nothing changes. incredibly predictable, very communicative, pretty much impossible to lose control IMO. its so cool in the rain, instead of making a full turn, i just turn the wheel 15-30 degrees and steer with my right foot. call me lazy, but once u start doing it, it becomes a habit.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:23 AM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

ive had some pretty scary experiences while driving in the rain, the scariest being that i was driving on the highway and as i was coming to my exit, the way it was is that the highway goes up bc the exit turns and goes under the highway (like most exits). so its raingin and i see the exit and i start to turn and slow down like normal and the back end just let loose and i almost had my car rolling down the side of a hill, since the exit is at the top, there is grass and i think there was a lake too. thankfully i was wired and immediatley reacted, stopeped accelerating and braking and just steered my way out of it. sux tho bc i had to get off an exit later, but yea i couldve died there. also the other day driving around campus the road r uber bumpy and it was pooring and i could feel the wheels of my car sway side to side and i was just cruising, so thats not very good, but im going to have to blame the tires for that bc they r basiclly bald now.

Quick Reply: V6 Handling in the rain without traction control