Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reving while in Neutral?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Reving while in Neutral?????

i wish i COULD have gotten a manual my mom sucks at driving stick and thought that it woudl be a safety isssue for me, but little does she know i can drive a stick better than anyone in my family lol. pisses me off
Old 12-07-2006, 05:28 PM
TexasPenguin

Somewhat connected to this, has anyone else noticed this odd behaviour when decelerating.
Maybe it's just the way I drive but, if I am slowing for a red light, say, and change down from 3rd to second and then basically run out of road before the clutch is all the way up (sounds strange but I'm sure you stick-shifters know what I'm talking about!), when you push down the clutch the revs drop almost to a stall and then recover. At first i thought it was the clutch sticking but the pattern is too exact every time - it's clearly and ECU issue.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

The only oddity I've experienced with downshifting and RPM change is when the car is cold, going downhill and downshifting, the compression goes away until I push in the clutch and let it back out again. Doesn't do it when it's running at temp though. My thought is if it only does at certain times under specific conditions it's probably not worth worrying about unless it becomes more frequent or worsens in some way.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Adian

Mine for the first time yesterday did this while in gear...Usually it is once I put it in neutral, but yesterday I was stuck in horrible traffic due to a wreck and we were creapeing along about 5 mph, and suddenly my car starts going faster and faster and revvs it up while in 1st gear up to about 2k rpm, had to hit my brakes, but it was the first time that it had done that...And at this point in time the engine was already warm, since I had been sitting there for 45 min....So I don't know if maybe it is time to get concerned about this issue since it has begun happening while in a low gear

[IMG]local://upfiles/44060/8A7D091373AE41AA8CDAEE89C2D2E80F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

If you're on top of a hill, and you roll down it from a complete stop in Neutral, your engine will start reving as well........it's weird......
Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 PM
esab

Random times happes here also. I contacted my dealer and they told me the same that ScottRNelson got, it was designed that way. I asked if they could be a little more vague...
Old 12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skiba5546

I wish I had bought a manual...
yeah manuel is lot of fun!!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
swayv6
1st Gear Member

This happened to me for the first time yesterday also. My car took an extremely long time for the idle speed to go down. After you come to a stop, the RPM'swould eventually come down, but this was very frustrating to deal with on a 28 mile commute in Houston traffic. Itall most caused me to run into a car in front of me that was stopped at a stop sign. The RPM's were so high when I took my foot off the accelerator and pushed the brake, it almost pushed me into the back of the car in front. I had to quickly apply the clutch to stop in time. Today it's not doing it. I'm going to bring mine in to the dealership also.

ORIGINAL: Adian

Mine for the first time yesterday did this while in gear...Usually it is once I put it in neutral, but yesterday I was stuck in horrible traffic due to a wreck and we were creapeing along about 5 mph, and suddenly my car starts going faster and faster and revvs it up while in 1st gear up to about 2k rpm, had to hit my brakes, but it was the first time that it had done that...And at this point in time the engine was already warm, since I had been sitting there for 45 min....So I don't know if maybe it is time to get concerned about this issue since it has begun happening while in a low gear

[IMG]local://upfiles/44060/8A7D091373AE41AA8CDAEE89C2D2E80F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i learned this in school, and in fact all manual cars do this (cars that are OBD2)and some more than others

whats hapening is that the computer is sensing a high wheel speed with no input.. but the car knows its rolling, and at some point you might want to throw it in gear and get on the gas, you wont have throtle lag, and responce will be up!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
jpfishjunky

My pony, for the second time,

My wife started from a stopped position and the car started reving wildly. At first I could not get the vehicle to duplicate the action. about a month later I was driving the car reasonably aggressive running through the gears. I pushed the cluth in and shot it into third. The gas pedel dropped out from under my foot and went to the floor all as I was hard into a corner and needed the controll. I almost lost it into a field and depressed the cluth. The car started pegging off the rev limiter and I killed the ignition. I had to pry the pedal up with my foot before restarting. She's in the dealers hand right now and I hope they have a good explination. Scary s&*#!

Quick Reply: Reving while in Neutral?????