Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reving while in Neutral?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Adian

Default Reving while in Neutral?????

I've noticed the last couple days that my Stang has been reving up to about 2000 rpms when I drop it into Neutral and letting off the clutch, for instance when sitting at a red light...It will go up to about 2k then drop down and I can't figure out why....The pedal doesn't seem to be sticking that I can tell, and it only does it when I shift from a gear and drop it into neutral and let off the clutch...If I keep my foot on the clutch or leave it in gear and hold it in or just go slow in any gear it doesn't do it...Any help guys?????????

Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Reving while in Neutral?????

EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I let off clutch at a red light, revs to 2k ish and goes back down slowly. Wtf?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:06 PM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

I wish I had bought a manual...
Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 AM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skiba5546

With a problem 10 times worse than this I still wouldnt buy an automatic if my life depended on it
Old 12-03-2006, 04:03 AM
rossbra2

I have the same problem.. took it to the dealer and they couldn't get it to do it when they drove it around they said but yet it happens to me all the time. Who knows..anyways she is in storage now for the winter. I'm so depressed, driving my new F-150 is a totally different expierance
Old 12-03-2006, 09:26 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Adian

I've noticed the last couple days that my Stang has been reving up to about 2000 rpms when I drop it into Neutral and letting off the clutch, for instance when sitting at a red light...It will go up to about 2k then drop down and I can't figure out why....The pedal doesn't seem to be sticking that I can tell, and it only does it when I shift from a gear and drop it into neutral and let off the clutch...If I keep my foot on the clutch or leave it in gear and hold it in or just go slow in any gear it doesn't do it...Any help guys?????????

Thanks in advance
My 2006 coupe does this sometimes as well. I just push the clutch in and out and she usually drops back down to idle. I read elsewhere that a faulty O2 sensor MIGHT been the culprit, but I also heard that this way is the way Ford designed the emissions system to burn off excess fuel (so why does pushing in the clutch affect this issue?). Perhaps you can take your Ford tech for a short drive and demonstrate the problem? That's what I plan to do when I bring her in.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
finch00
2nd Gear Member

the 1986 honda POS we use as a training car at work has that problem maintance says its some sort of o2 sensor.... i started to drift off half way thu or i'd have a better answer
Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

driving is an analog experience......i prefer manual to auto...to each his own tho.....however i will say most whoa dmire ride smile gently when i tellem its manual.......ahhh how sweet it is to go from 4th to 5th at 70-80 mph.........sweeeeeeettt.....

haven had this problem except when the engine is cold...and bsically it goes to normal idle once warm ...my contour does the same and its a stick as well...

my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:28 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

ORIGINAL: Adian

Thanks in advance
My 2006 coupe does this sometimes as well. I just push the clutch in and out and she usually drops back down to idle. I read elsewhere that a faulty O2 sensor MIGHT been the culprit, but I also heard that this way is the way Ford designed the emissions system to burn off excess fuel (so why does pushing in the clutch affect this issue?). Perhaps you can take your Ford tech for a short drive and demonstrate the problem? That's what I plan to do when I bring her in.
pushing in the clutch does it beccause they cant have it happen while you are in gear, that would change your speed without your concent which is VERY dangerous. i asked my dealer about it. They said, it is how the 06's warm up because they dont have a heated throttle body like the 05's. the 05's do it a bit, but not as much. He said it is much worse when your engine is cold, but it still happens somewhat when it is perfectly warm. dont worry about it
Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skiba5546

The manual transmission V-6 Mustang also revs up as high as 2000 rpms UNTIL you come to a complete stop. I am often annoyed by that feature. It's especially annoying while descending a long hill in second or third gear and you don't get any engine braking for several seconds.

My dealer claims that since Ford designed it that way, there is nothing that they can do.

Quick Reply: Reving while in Neutral?????