Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Chaning the Transmission Fluid......Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
pallidamors
Banned

Default Chaning the Transmission Fluid......Difficult?

Well I got into an accident with my 03 gt (pics posted in the 4.6 section) so until I get her back from the shop I am going to tinker with my fiance's 05 v6 mustang. Here's what I had in mind.

1.) The car has 28k miles and Im thinking of changing the transmission fluid (was gonna run some royal purple). Is it a difficult driveway job? Ive never changed transmission fluid in a car before so Id love some input on this (21 year old college student thats just getting into cars )

2.) I was thinking of swapping out her muffler for a gt take off. I have been researching the forum a bit and it seems that some aftermarket mufflers gain 10rwhp? So what should I expect from a gt take off....is it worth it or just go for an aftermarket one?

Its an auto btw

Thanks,
James
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 PM
workshop4ever
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Chaning the Transmission Fluid......Difficult?

well, as for the tranny fluid. I have no clue, never done it. However, as for the takeoff exhaust. I would definately recommend it, especially if its your fiance's car. I currently have the single takeoff on my 4.0, and I have to say it was even better than i expected. I get compliments for it all the time. Many of my friends say "it sure sounds like a GT", even though i can still hear a little difference of course. The best part about it is that its not super loud, so your fiance won't hate you when she gets the car back. Its also good for hghway driving, because it doesnt drown out the radio at speed. As for 10hp, i think thats a little excessive to expect from just a muffler. I'd say any muffler will give you maybe up to 5hp, and this one is no different. You will feel a little difference in the way the car moves, and it definately sounds much more muscle.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:20 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I think that the GT takeoff would be a great option for you. It will have a warmer sound, without being annoying. Lately, I have seen some great deals on ebay. As low as $30 plus shipping (that's for a pair). Also be sure and check the classified section of the forum, I see them in there on a regular basis. Good luck, Dave
Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

The tranny fluid is not a Saturday afternoon driveway job for the inexperienced.... It requires special Ford tools... (This is what I've been told anyways... LOL)
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

+1 ...I really hate the fact that I can't do a job because I don't a some crazy tool...The must not want us messin with it...lame..
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
jettblack06
1st Gear Member

if its a manual transmission all you need is a 3/8 drive ratchet, take out the bottom plug on the side of the transmission...let it drain, tighten the plug back up, take out the top plug and fill the trans with fluid until it is level with the fill plug hole and reinsert the plug. if it is an automatic...i work at a ford dealer and am trans certified and i will tell you this much, the auto trans. that is in the mustang and explorers are "sealed for life" and according to ford do not have to be flushed. you will need a special tool as well as a scan tool to monitor the trans fluid temperature to make sure it is at the proper level. if it were me and i had an automatic, i would take it and have a drop pan service done(filter changed and fluid that is in the pan replaced with new) because you only get maybe 15% of the total fluid exchanged by doing a flush.