Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock driveshaft Weight and more HP to come.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:20 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock driveshaft Weight and more HP to come.....

Well, I finally ordered new aluminum driveshaft from Powerhouse for $480 and includes shipping.
It is supposed to weigh only 14lb.
Now the question I would like to pose is how much does our Stock one weigh? I did a search and can't seem to find any #'s. Too bad no one dyno to compare but my rough estimate is a gain of 1RWH per 3lb shaved of the rotating mass. Using the formula of 1 pound of rotation mass(true unsprung weight) is approx 5-7lb of sprung weights and our cars rated at 15lb per hp. So for every 3pound we take off the rotation mass = 15lb saving of the Sprung weight or 1RWHP. That doesn't sound like much but if our stock once weigh 35lb and I am replacing with 14lb = 21 lb saving in roating mass or a gain of 7rwhp. Thats a lot of money to pay for 7rwhp but considering the safety factor at higher speed I can justify it. Also I am considering a blower so got to prepare ahead.
Please let us know the weight of the stock shaft if anyone got the #'s.
Thank you.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:22 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stock driveshaft Weight and more HP to come.....

By the way, this does not apply to LCA's. I understand you can shave 11lb by getting lighter LCA's but thats only applies to the Sprung weight and I understand does improve handeling and not acceleration. Correct me if I am wrong please.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

Hey!
I have the PH Alum. Driveshaft on Denny's BBv6 and its great. At 70-100 on the highway you feel the differents and you'll feel safe driving the car at high speeds and not looking for the driveshaft to break off and come thru the floor of your car. I only have a picture of the stock one. I could'nt get under the car to take a picture of the new one. One day I'll get a picture, maybe the next oil change.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47981/11983629789F488FB9C1545E6B71E732.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47981/05F85D9519B54F268EAF348B3017B0DC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

Old 12-26-2006, 01:26 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

thank you for response. Did anyone try to weigh the original driveshaft on a home scale? Just wondering how much weight we save. Some sites list 1 lb reduction in rotating mass = 7-11lb of sprung weight. I am using a conservative figures of 5-7lb. Probably improve mpg a bit as well since less weight to spin :-)

Old 12-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

480 shippped ...is that a christmas special or did they lower the prices? Sounds good.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

well, I finally received the driveshaft and installed it this morning. It took me about 2 hours to jack up the car, secure it, remove old driveshaft (hard to get the bolts out), install new one (couldn't get my torque wrench in since its tight but used 2 wrenches and applied as much force as I possibly could).
Tested the vehicle around few long block and took it up to 45mph. Feels like it revs a little better especially uphill it seems to pull better. Will find out tomorrow when I take her on the freeway and do some hard driving.

I did place both driveshaft on the scale and here are the results.
Original shaft with U-joints = 29lb
New Driveshaft from Powerhouse411 with U-joints = 16-17lb.
Thats 12/13lb saving of rotational force and should cut 1/10th of the 1/4 mile run or 5-7rwhp.
Not much but now I got what I need to get a VORTECH :-)
I'll probably improve my economy as well a bit but we'll see......
Old 12-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Sniper308
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the update. This is a mod I'll be doing in a few months, too.

Interesting comment about uphill travel. I'm sure without the "slop" of a two-piece driveshaft, there's just got to be better "response" to a demand to accelerate.

I'd still try to get those fasteners torqued, if not yourself then by a shop.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:06 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sniper308

Thanks for the update. This is a mod I'll be doing in a few months, too.

Interesting comment about uphill travel. I'm sure without the "slop" of a two-piece driveshaft, there's just got to be better "response" to a demand to accelerate.

I'd still try to get those fasteners torqued, if not yourself then by a shop.
We have a single piece driveshaft by the way, the GT has 2 piece.
I took it on the freeway this morning and acceleration is definitely improved at top gear.
I also took it to a remote location and attempted one 0-60 run using my stopwatch. Reved up to 3000 rpm, pop the clutch and press start at the same tme. Wheels spun for a sec or less before hooking up. Car pulled very strong and I was upshifting at 5500rpm. Got so excited that I forgot to watch the speedo and realized that I was passing an 80mph mark so I pressed stop on the stop watch which now displayed 10sec. Not sure how it translates to 0-60 but I assume its 6sec 0-60 for sure.
The mods that I have on my vert (160lb over regular coupe) are CAI(true cold air since I blocked all the internal heat transfer and drilled holes in grill) , Xcal with 91tune, Magnaflow exhaust, RP oil in engine and transmission, Aluminum driveshaft, Thicker Sway bars all around. Next year I am looking at the Vortech.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Question for those with the new drive shafts. I'm trying to get thi vibration I get at 75 and up to go away. I had 4.10's put in and clearly it's a result of the driveshaft spinning faster at lower speeds. So would getting it balanced resolved this issue for the mean time? Have any of you experienced this vibration as well? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Stock driveshaft Weight and more HP to come.....