Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I pulled the trigger...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 AM
Stolen 98
1st Gear Member

Default I pulled the trigger...

After weeks of lurking in this forum I finally traded my '01 Rodeo and bought an '05 Legend Lime V6 coupe, Shaker 500, black Mustang letters and racing stripes, 6k miles. This will serve as my driver but I will soon be adding an X-cal2 and cai along with an axel back exhaust. I want to leave it single so it will always look like a V6 car since I already have a V8 GT. I'm between the MRT cat back and the Flowmaster. Any thoughts??? opinions????
Initial impression is that it feels like I may have the dash rattle and I do feel some drive train vibration, that I didnt feel during test drive, but this is my first 5spd car is 3yrs so maybe that could be it. The car feels every bit as strong as my 98GT did when it was stock. The bottom-line is that I couldn't stand driving my Rodeo any longer even for a V-6 the Rodeo was scary to get on the freeway with.
That being said I'm glad to be a new member of this forum and will value all other insight on these V6 cars as out of 5 mustangs this is my first non-GT.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I pulled the trigger...

congratulations! our tranny is crap, so some vibrations are normal. i would recommend mrt if you like it real loud. if you dont want really loud exhaust dont get it. it seems to put down the most power too. welcome to the 4.0 section.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stolen 98

The bottom-line is that I couldn't stand driving my Rodeo any longer even for a V-6 the Rodeo was scary to get on the freeway with.
I had a 97 Rodeo and when it came time to retire it, I went and looked at the new Rodeos. The engine felt the same and it accelerated about the same. It's just when they shortened the car, it made the rear end felt real twitchy. I went arounda curve at about 50 which in the 97 felt solid. In the new, shorter car, it felt like the car was on the verge ofgoing out ofcontrol. I drove straight back to the dealer and said "Nope!"

Haven't driven my 2007 mustang (heck, I haven't even seen it in person, just pictures) but the builder sent me a video of it going around his 2.1mile racetrack and he said it felt solid and handled very well and that's prior to all the changeswe did.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:23 AM
Stolen 98
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response guys!
-The MRT looks like a quality piece however kinda sounds weird but then again online sound clips aren't the best.
-Have no fear the aftermarket will be here on the Tranny's though these V6's have alot of performance potential...somewhere someone will get sick of rebuilding there's and create a kit with some hardened pieces and bada bing bada boom built tranny's will be sold. It will take some time just like it did before people started realizing NPI 4.6 motors could be built to make power.
-The Rodeo was purchased because I thought I needed a 4x4 for the winters here in Columbus OH, in two winters I put it in 4x4 once to make sure it still worked. Plus the gas milage was killing me, I just HOPE insurance isn't going to be too bad. Yeah, yeah, I know I should have checked before I bought but oh well......
Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

I have the MRT and it is loud. I will admit that it will bring attention to your car. Don't go by soundclips online. When the MRT is broken in, it sounds really really good in person for a single exhaust. My friends sneek into my car just to sit in it and rev it when im not looking. I wasn't sure ifI was going to keep it because of the populated areaI live in with all the noise. soo...I let my mother drive it past me soI can hear it for myself, and it sounded really cool, so im keeping that sucker on there unless I go to a dual system. As for the drone everyone talks about, yeah its there...and it can **** some people off in the car....as for me, when it drones that just means im driving like a grandma (no offenceI know some grandmas like to rip it up) ...just give it a little gas and the good sound is back, or turn the tunes up.