Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

v6 exhaust : again

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 AM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Default v6 exhaust : again

I want to put dual exhaust on my v6 but am a little confused about a several things. What is the best way to go about it ? If I take it to an exhaust shop would they just cut the left side pipe at the converter and bolt the new exhaust from there and leave the existing pipe on the right side ? Or would I just bring them an exhaust kit? The stock pipe is stainless steel . Would the shop have that or not ? If I don't want the sound too harsh would I just get a stock v6 muffler for the left side ? In terms of getting mufflers that are just one step up in sound would that be a gt take off ?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default RE: v6 exhaust : again

go with the pypes dual kit...rpm outlet has it. xpipe stainless not o/r. it has 4 in tips. 369. all hangers/clamps included. bolt on kit
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

If you opt to go to an exhaust shop, I would advise you to buy the drivers side midpipe from Ford. The shops that I went to in my area said they couldn't bend the pipe to go over the axel and with the factory parts everything lines up like it should. I bought the midpipe for $92, the muffler hanger brackets for $78 and the slip clamp (like the one already on the y-pipe) for $20 from Ford. The GT takeoffs come from eBay for $75 shipped. My local Midas did the h-pipe and completed the install for $87. I had already done the cutout on the bumper cover and installed the hanger brackets.
What they did on mine was disconnect the y-pipe and then mark where they would cut the two pipes after the cats. Once they made the cuts, they bent two pipes, one to match up the passenger side existing pipe, and one to match up with the new midpipe. From there they marked the position where the h-pipe would go then cut out circles on the inside of the two new pipes. Once they had the h-pipe cut to length, they tacked it together, tookthe assembly off and then completed the welds. It turned out perfectly. Well, the h-pipe sits a little higher on the drivers side, which the installer didn't like, but like I said to him, "who's going to see it?" He actually wanted to re-do it. Imagine that, a quality minded installer at a muffler shop! Just kidding. They guy that did mine was very conscientious about his work. I guess I got one of the good ones.The sound was just what I was looking for too. A nice little rumble at idle, not too loud at any speed in the car and no drone. If you decide to go with the h-pipe install it can be done very well, although some have had problems with their muffler shop. Just don't let somebody screw you, or your car by performing shoddy work. If you go the x-pipe route, the install would be easier, whether you do the work or pay someone to do it for you, and in my opinion looks a little "cleaner" under the car. The sound difference is only slightly different between the two. It really comes down to what you'd prefer. Good luck no matter what you decide.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

I agree... I just installed a GT take off yesterday and it sounds just right... Not to loud, none of this drone evceryone complains about, just a mellow growl... Once I get the pipe and hanger I am getting the other side installed with an H pipe... I also have the GT rear fascia, so it looks clean as hell...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

go to a local shop and have them fab up the driver side pipe...there are PLENTY of explanations of this on this site lol so i wont go into it........that pypes kit looks nice as hell for 369 though...probably louder than you want though.....
ebay gt takeoff mufflers for 50 bucks, go to a shop and have em fab itup.....(they will probably not have stainless but unless you live on the coast it shouldn matter much
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just to add something.. I have heard something about the fuel line not being insulated in the 6's... and putting an exhaust pipe under it can be dangerous. The GT's have an insulated line that runs over the driver's side pipe.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:13 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

HMMM i wonder if thats true?
iv never heard that....but i haven't exploded yet so i think its probably okay LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Not sure if it's true either.. just what i remember hearing around here.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:25 AM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

Just to add something.. I have heard something about the fuel line not being insulated in the 6's... and putting an exhaust pipe under it can be dangerous. The GT's have an insulated line that runs over the driver's side pipe.
Hello MrSandman,
Hopefully someone can chime in on this subject of insulation of the fuel line for the V6........................wondering if anybody has changed out the line or used some sort of insulation on exsisting line....? Besides being danerous, I would think it would not be too happening for gas to flow? Anyway...........some solid info would be excellent........anybody with duals???

Cheers!!