Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Strange noise on takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Ruc22

Default Strange noise on takeoff

The last couple of weeks I have been hearing a strange noisefrom my 06 V6 manual from when I takeoff from a stop. The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like a low pitch whistle, kindof like when air is blown in a glass soda bottle...I know, weird description but it's the best I could think of .Anyway,I only hear this noisewhen the car is cold in the morning during the first few starts. After a few minutes it goes away. Does anyone know what this could be?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Strange noise on takeoff

exhaust leak?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

is it just right when you start moving or is it at a certain rpm?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i retract my previous post, im thinking your U-joint is starting to crap out on you
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Ruc22

It only happens as I'm letting the clutch out in 1st gear from a stop when the car is cold and it starts to accelerate.After about 10 mins or so the noise disappears. I'm stumped on this one....
Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I have this exact same problem it only happens when its freezing cold in the morning. As soon as it turns on it starts making that noise. I thought of it as that one rap song where their going oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. as soon as it warms up it stops. Weird things is it seems to be electricalas it happens if i put it into start position but dont turn it on. But somehow once its warm it stops. Again only happens in the morning or late night when it hasnt been turned on yet for like 6 hours.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Ruc22

That's my problem exactly! It's been cold lately here in SoCal in the mornings (relatively speaking ) and it happens only when the car is cold and it's cold outside. At least it's not just me experiencing this. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like the throw-out bearing is a little dry and after warm up it's fine. Does it stop if you take your foot off the clutch?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ahh K now the description sounds better.. ive had that issue too, when i drove my car half the winter last year.. i think its the input shaft bearing on the transmission. mines already craped out on me. i have to call warrenty on it when i take it out of storage, i think its lacking some lubrication... and the cold weather doesnt help

the input shaft bearing seems to be the culprit in half of the trannies being FUBAR ... i think some engineer screwed up and an oil gallery is in the wrong spot
Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I got an auto. Prolly cant get it fixe dunder warranty at this point

Quick Reply: Strange noise on takeoff