Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lurker coming forward..06 Pony..

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
TheRogue

Default Lurker coming forward..06 Pony..

Been mining this site since my wife decided she wanted a 'stang instead of the old Toyota Camry. I didn't really agree with the change, but she loves it!! 06 V6 Pony Package auto in Tungsten Grey, just about everything you can have on it.

She grew up driving some hot rods....and firmly believes any sports/muscle car should have duals. I got a sweet deal on a set of GT takeoff mufflers with low miles, and the GT takeoff rear valance is on it's way from V6mustangstuff, should be here Monday. Was waffling between ordering x-pipe or just having local muffler shop build the system for her.

She was telling some of her co-workers, and one "car" guy was really stressing to her that the car would really need a programmer, that it wouldn't run right because of the change in the exhaust. He also said our warranty would be "screwed".

Now, my wife is freaked. She purchased a 100K B2B warranty along with the car, and she's just sure we'll have to get a programmer for the car to run correctly, and then the her whole warranty will be gone. I've tried to explain to her that my research just hasn't seen that problem with the engine/exhaust change.....and it's unlikely an exhaust change would void the warranty.

I'm concerned I'll be advertising the stuff I bought to get rid of it, unless I can convince her it's just not going to be an issue.

Any advice?

[IMG]local://upfiles/57120/B073F452449B491F8A41101E834B5684.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lurker coming forward..06 Pony..

you won't need a tune for the exhaust and your warranty should still be intact with duals put on.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:50 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

yeh it should and better be ( i have 6 yr 75 bb) okay to have duals
Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I asked that very question of the service manager at my Ford dealer recently. He said "as long as the exhaust system is 'after' the cat's, your drive train warranty will stay intact". That also keeps it emissions legal in all 50 states!
As far as tuning goes, you don't need to modify the MCU's program after changing from a single to a dual exhaust system.
However, I personally feel that a reset of the MCU is necessary.
I've had two friends and a couple customers complain about not feeling an improvement in power after they installed their cat back duals. The MAF sensor is extremely sensative and will see the difference due to less exhaust system back pressure which translates intoimproved flow on the intake side of things too. I reset their MCU's, then they saw an improvment in overall volumetric efficiency i.e. improved gas mileage and more pep from bottom to top end.

To resent the MCU, all you need to do is disconnect the battery negative for several minutes '15 is recomended' then reconnect and fire it up and go.
The stock programming / adaptive will figure the rest out and you'll be fine.
So tell your wife she can relax.

One other thing, resetting the MCU will generate a P01000 code. This means that power was interrupted/lost due to either an MCU reprogram or battery change out or jumping a dead battery.
The code will dissapear after the system has had a chance to go through all it's usual diagnostic routines over x miles and x cold starts.
If you get caught with a P01000 code by the dealer, just tell them your battery died and you had to jump start the car. That's all you have to say.

Now if you change anything on the intake side, it's somewhat of a coin toss where warranty issues go.
The law says they can't void your warranty for doing so unless they can prove it caused a major engine malfunction that results in serious engine damage requiring replacement or major engine work. The dealers will give you a very hard time about it then because Ford ain't gonna eat anything they don't have to or can get away with not eating.

Just be sure that if you do change anything on the intake side, CAI system, tune etc., remove theCAI goodies, put theoriginal air box and filter system back inand or re-install the original factory programming before you take it to the dealer. I mean even if the car brakes down on the road somewhere, have it towed to your house or trusted private repair shop and make the necessary changes as above before taking it to the dealer. Otherwise there's a good chance your warranty will be voided.

Personally I'd never waste the money on an extended warranty but hey, that's just me. Good luck and enjoy your new'er ride ;-)
Old 01-12-2007, 12:03 AM
TheRogue

About the warranty.....with our luck on vehicles...we have used every extended warranty we've ever purchased, from trannies to electric parts to sunroofs, it's a no-brainer for us.

It makes sense, I guess, that exhaust should be fine, but intake could be a question.

TR
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Changing the exhaust sytem does NOT allow more air to flow into the car due to less backpressure. As a piston moves down and fills with air, the inlet system is not in any way in contact with the pressure in the outlet system. A dual muffler, or more free flowing single helps the car because the engine wastes less pressure pushing the exhaust gas out the cats and pipes and muffler.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:39 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Changing the exhaust sytem does NOT allow more air to flow into the car due to less backpressure. As a piston moves down and fills with air, the inlet system is not in any way in contact with the pressure in the outlet system. A dual muffler, or more free flowing single helps the car because the engine wastes less pressure pushing the exhaust gas out the cats and pipes and muffler.
Okay, I can seewhat you're saying but you areincorrect.Although I can get into a rather long explanation, cam shafts areset up for what'sknown as valve overlap. The period of valve overlap is constant throughout the entire RPM band on the 4.0.
Valve overlap is when both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Not a lot but they are both open.Trust me, opening up the exhaust 'does'effect the intake volume and velocity just like it effects overall VE. The engine breaths better, period. The varioussensors see this change. The MCU adjusts things accordingly.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

TheRogue
There is a post in this forum that talks about the warranty.
In short, it says that, if you do a mod, the warranty may be invalid for that part of the car.
If you put a tune on your car, and the computer gets messed up, it probably wont be covered.
However, if you put a tune on your car, and windshield motor quits working, that will most likely be covered.
I cannot remember where the post is, but if you do a search for warranty, you will probably find it.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I've got a 2001 Camry at home, how about a trade for your wife, you can keep the Mustang too. She sounds like a keeper!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:09 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

bootm line if you do ANY mods make sure you have the warranty on the part and that whoever puts it on warranties their work.....duals will not void the warranty onthe vehicle....you dont need a tune for duals.... most cai require a tune hope this helps

Quick Reply: Lurker coming forward..06 Pony..