Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Duals: continued...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:01 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Duals: continued...

yeah if I was going to "dump" the exhaust before the rear axle i would be concerned about the dreaded drone, but I have two things to think of.....This definately is not our main highway and traveling car, but more of a "fun" car for us...wifey takes it to the store and to work a couple of times a week. I may be able to live with a little drone!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Alright folks.

I got one of the GT mufflers on today.

I'm well on my way to getting this completely done, but I may need some help finding some of the stuff that I need.

I think I found the X-Pipes that I want, but I am not sure If I should get the V6 version or the GT version...

I know I have a V6, but I am essentially copying a GT system (w/ X-pipe). Thats where I become confused.

-------------------------------

I noticed that the Pypes site also has the mounting brackets - They are 32 bucks each. There are two brackets holding the muffler. I would suppose they would be different from each other, or are they both the same?
---------------------------------

Last but not least, it would be awesome if i could get a driver's side GT mid-pipe. I tried looking for quite some time, but I haven't found them. Has anyone seen them? I think it would be way better than fabbing one.
-----------------------------
After that all I have to do is bring the X-pipe, the two mounting brackets, the mid-pipe and the drivers side muffler, and say "DO IT."

What do you all think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/57715/DAB50CB7C49042D89C7DA06B8716955E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/57715/4F23AC4ADD1F4E8D9564870F4B48D713.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2007, 10:17 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

This is the pic of the bracket

[IMG]local://upfiles/57715/20E453BE7C2C438780495F3A7087ECD7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2007, 12:17 AM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

So how does it sound with the one GT muffler on? Does it have a heaver tone? I'm been thinking about it for some time and have been considering using a Super 40 Flowmaster to just replace the stock muffler.....I'm not really worried about gaining HP, its a six, with plenty of power for my wifeand I could have gotten the GT, until I saw the insurance WHEW! I just want to put a little rumble under this pony...I still may go with a fab'd up dual with an H pipe and a pair of turbos, but then again if your getting the "GT Growl" this may be even easier. By the way are the factory pipes 2 &1/2 's or are they 2 inch?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:19 AM
bee bop

I went with the FRP X-pipe and GT take off Muflers. The X-pipe fit fine just had to loosen one of the pipes to slide it on. Had them to weld it on instead of using the clamps that came with the x-pipe. I just cut the bumper matching the passenger side, looks pretty good if I do say so my self. It sounds great it is deeper, but not raspy.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 AM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

The sound difference with only one GT muffler is very slight. Its a little bit deeper and more aggressive, but that doesn't satisfy me. I'm going with duals, no doubt. I like the fact that the polished tips stick out, and I can't wait to get the rest done. I have more more in mind for the future, but I need this squared away.

I think the best growl I have heard so far is the Ford Racing Parts GT mufflers (Borla Stingers, I believe?)

Anybody know where I can get those parts?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 AM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I've been thinking an looking for the last couple of weeks. I went and looked at the GT mufflers on one at the dealer, I know I can get a set for a good price almost anywhere, but they just seem to be mediocre at best knock off turbo mufflers, I think dual flowmaster super 40's would make this car sound mean as hell. I have looked at a couple of shops and have narrowed it down to what appear to be a set of Flowmaster knock offs that are ceramic coated, the $65 each price on the Flows is killin me and this guy says these are the same if not better due to the ceramic coating...plus the bonus of about 35% difference in price. I saw the 2.5 inch X pipe on EBAY for about 40 bucks and may go that route...but then again on the fox bodies we all ran off road racing H pipes and had no problem at all. This installer assured me, and promisedme that he'd put inwriting that he'd tac all the pipes in place, thentake it back off and fully weld it all around, and install for $220. Almost seems too good to be true so I'm a littel bit leary of it all. I just looked today at his fabrication on his Chrysler 300 and I must say he does good work and the 3.5 litre in his carwith these mufflers sounds mighty good. I'm going again on Monday to talk to him again and lay out exactly whatI want and discuss the options of the X vs. H and see what he thinks.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: damquick1

I'm not sure aboutall the Pony pkgs...but every one I looked at on the lot that was a premium or pony had exhaust manifolds on it, I don't think they come from the factory with short headers or headers at all....anyone else ? Perhaps it is a special pkg that none at my dealer had.
Way I understand it, "headers" has come to mean fabricated tubing exhaust manifolds; not to say the cast manifolds can't be "tuned" like headers, by design, but they seldom overcome the cost-v.-gain hurdles and make it onto production lines. "Headers" are noisier (explosions aren't deadened as much as by cast manifolds) and transfer more heat to surrounding objects, and unless they are particularly well-designed and -constructed from superior materials, they don't last as long.

Unless you need the (relatively small) gains resulting from exhaust tuning -- andthey usually are small unless accompanied by one or several other modifications) headers are more a fashion statement than a useful piece of kit. Me? I always go for the headers -- I like to be in style.

I know a man whose son is in close contact with major industry automobile performance parts designers and engineers, people who do the development for -- among others -- Ford Racing. He gave me the name of a local shop with similar contacts, as a source for my new exhaust system (2006 V6 automatic convertible). I asked my friend what a dual set-up might cost. He scoffed: "You don't want duals on a Six!" Huh? Yes, he went on, You get your choice: good sound from duals, or good performance from an optimized single exhaust (right-sized pipe and low-restriction muffler).

That was the third time someone in a position to know said it was a good idea to stay with single exhaust for a Six -- one of them cited dyno tests. My understanding is these are folks with no axe to grind, people who might make more money from selling duals. Any similar experiences out there?

Me? I like duals; takes me back to my Belond Equa-flow split-manifold in-line Six days, for sure. And, I like to be in style ...