Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Duals: continued...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Default Duals: continued...

So I went to my local muffler shop and had my V6 put up on the lift.

We brainstormed on how to make this a true dual with minimum costs, and eventually came up with this plan.

Sorry, but my MS Paint skills aren't the best. Haha.

Well, what we will do is cut into the Y-pipe, after the cat converters, and weld a new pipe into it. This essentially creates an H-Pipe ( its a little crooked but an H-pipe none the less!).
The red signifies the new pipe.

The only thing I need to know now, is where to get the mounts for the muffler. The stock V6 muffler has two mounts that keep it up, if I get this ahead of time, it could reduce labor costs a bit.

Tell me your thoughts on the plan!

[IMG]local://upfiles/57715/37FA0AB28BEB4E51A655B456FF6C8A8E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Duals: continued...

Sorry but that's about the dumbest junk yard exhaust system idea I have heard in years!
You don't want to RIG up something like that. It won't last and it won't run correctly either. Doing so will also greatly devalue the car!
Purchase a REAL cat back true dual exhaust system.
You can buy them for under 400 dollars.
If you can't afford it, then don't mess with it until you can.
I'd be embarrased to tell anyone that my exhaust system is a patch job!
Geesh!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Coming from someone who only posts negative comments and goes on random irrevelvant tangents about thier planned modifications, I take your advice with a grain of salt.

Anyone have any intelligent comments?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

Take his comments with belief. Thats the dumbest idea i've ever seen. It will also make your car run horribly. Less distance to one of the mufflers will make for a slight awkward backpressure deal.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Right, what ever. You're obviously jealous because I can afford to do it RIGHT!
That grain of salt you took is actuallyan extremely HUGE chunk pal! One you can't swallow!
I speak SOOTH. Look it up mickey mouse.
You're negativecomments are no more than generalaties anyway!
If you don't want to hear the truth, don't ask!
You obviously don't read all of my posts as the majority of them are quite positive and extremely helpful.
Normally I receive thanks and praise ;-p
There will always besomeone who disagrees or whines about others posts.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

wolfey. don't take it seriously. He just wants attention i geuss. you gave your opinion and thats what he asked for. Now he's upset because ur opinion was harsh.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 AM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

This is coming from someone who is just learning all of this (me), and the owner of a shop which specializes in exhaust, and verified by a group of Ford certified technician at the dealership in which I bought the car from.

So instead of just sh*ting on the idea why don't you give me some reasons why this won't work, in a more mature manner. Aparently everyone I talked to overlooked some sort of issue that you know about, so please enlighten me.

If the new custom-made pipe is exactly the same length as the original how would the back pressure be affected?
And for what reason would the car run horribly?

I want the feedback, but I would also like some reasoning behind the response.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ronaele05

wolfey. don't take it seriously. He just wants attention i geuss. you gave your opinion and thats what he asked for. Now he's upset because ur opinion was harsh.
Thanks Ronaele.
Yeah, the truth hurts ;-] But somebody's gotta tell it!
Doesn't realize when someone's doing him a favor.
Can you imagine such a patch job? ROLF!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 AM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Pearl.....have your pipes cut at the same place on both sides behind the cats....have the muffler shop fab you an "H or X" pipe. you can get the muffler brackets from this guy clevparts@aol.com shoot him an e-mail and he will give you a price list. he has the pipes, from the H or X pipe to the mufflers that will be stainless steel and thecorrect diameter. He has the hangers, clamps, and even the frame bolts. I can't say prices on here because he asked for them not to be published. A local mufflers shop fabricated my "H" pipe which looks just like the factory GT "H" pipe out of 2 1/2 inch stainless steel exhaust pipe. Preformance wise.....I could feel anoticeable difference in power. Mine is an automatic but from a stand still it will burn the tires without holding the break on dry pavement, and I have even got it to chirp 2nd " 1 time" with no other mods. Install cost was $215.00..now that will vary from place to place and type of materials that they use. I have pictures somewhere of my system..i'll see if I can find them and post them for you.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 AM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Oh yeah I forgot.......Looks wonderful and the sound is so undescribeably wonderful....sometimes I turn the 2100 Watt stereo off just to hear the exhaust note

Quick Reply: Duals: continued...